The "Thank A Designer" Thread

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sdk2knbk, Feb 14, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

While it's always nice to hear "nice model" and "Thanks for giving it to us", I think the best way to thank a designer is to actually build the model and post a picture of it. It makes us feel good, and is an inspiration to us to make more. (Thanks from me to Sjsquirrel, the Webdude, and The-Jazzman) To that end, here's a couple from me. Thank you very much Ron Caudillo for your beautiful Enterprise Bridge model!

And also Thank you very much to Gearz, for your S:AAB USS Saratoga!

More to follow as I build them!

Scott K.
  2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Just to clarify my first post, I meant for others to post their "Thanks-to-a-designer" notes and pix in this thread, too (unless you think it's a bad idea?)

Scott K.
  3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I'd like to thank all the designers, both of commercial and freebee models. Without them and thier great designs we would be stuck with plastic.
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Too many I want to thank to list here. I think it is a good idea, maybe not too well recieved.

I believe that building the model is thanking the designer. Downloading is thanking the designer. Buying the model is thanking the designer.

As a beginning designer myself, 99.9% of the thanks comes from the smile on my face when I create something. The fact that someone else likes it is an extreme bonus!

Kind of silly to do a thank a designer thread on a forum where a good percentage of members are designers themselves?

THANK YOU times 1 Trillion!!! (did I leave out anybody).
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I'll try again. I meant, many people SAY thanks, how about showing that the models are actually being BUILT. I said in my first post that I thought that was the best way to thank a designer. For my own models, I've only ever seen four times when someone posted a picture of a finished one. I've actually released just over half a dozen different models. I've only seen three of them actually built. There have been hundreds of downloads, but only three builds. Does that mean they're mostly unbuildable garbage? That's the point I'm trying to make. Many of us who design would like to know that our models are actually being built, rather than just stockpiled on someone's disk somewhere. I'm also not just talking about my own models here. When I built Ron's Bridge model, I was surprised at the impression I got that not many others have built or are building it. Gearz was surprised when I posted pix of his Saratoga that someone actually built it. Now I know I'm not the most well-spoken member here, but if I STILL haven't made my point, then I want Rickstef to delete this thread!

Scott K.
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I fully understand your meaning. I have seen very few stone age anything built and displayed, but those I have seen do make me feel good.

Back in my journalist days, I always figured if only one person learned something from an article I wrote, the article was worth writing. In a way, I feel that way about my models. Since I don't build any part of the models I design, I see what they look like working with my beta builder. My last beta builder was excellent. It his models which show off the Gruesome's Limo and the Drive-In Theater.

Sure, I would like to see more of my creations in their "non-flatten" state, but knowing someone has taken the time to "cut, fold, paste" the canvas, does make my day.
  7. swiftsword

swiftsword Member

Hear, hear!
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I don't know if this should be a "Thank You" so much as a "With apologes to.." post, due to my skill level (or lack thereof).

I downloaded the following model from jleslie48's site, even before I found this forum. Built with "premium" bond paper and elmers glue

Please ignore all the white spots and misaligned edges. This is the first model I've built in about 5 years. I need a bit more practice, as well as new scissors and a better knife...

Attached Files:

9. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hey Scott ~ Thanks for the pics! I'm spread way to thin with all my hobbies, and I put a lot into each card model. So gestures like this, sort of make it worthwhile. Seeing someone build your model IS gravy for designers. You did a great job building the Saratoga, think I will make it a policy to include someone else's build pix with a kit from now on.. ( if the model gets built of course)

Lurkers = One picture is worth a thousand downloads... lol

In truth I could take a lead from you.. I've built a few of the many excellent models offered by other designers here, and have a long list of others TO build, just don't have the means to photograph them.

Btw.. I screwed one of the parts on your Aurora. I know its been mentioned here somewhere.. (sorry lazy) can you print part of a .pdf page (using the standard version 5 )? link to method?

10. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Gearz, not sure what you mean by "link to" method, but you should be able to draw a box around the part you need and use "print selection". And thanks all who finally understood what I was trying to do here. Also, you might even get your model's picture added to the kit!:) (Thanx, Gearz.)

Scott K.
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'm as bad as anybody about stockpiling models and never building them but I would like to thank all the designers out there anyway. I frequently only download or buy a kit just to see how the designer solved certain problems and then use their tricks or at least archive them for future use. Kind of like the builders getting their tricks from other builders (also a good source of tricks to be applied to the design process) so thank you other designers, a fair number of your tricks are incorporated in my designs and they are better for it.
  12. Gearz

Gearz Member

Dooohh!.. that was simple.. I'm lucky it didn't have teeth, or it would have bitten me on the nose.. Thanx Scott, reprinted the part from the pdf page.
  13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

What are your others?

Hey Scott, what are your other models? Do you have a web page somewhere?

14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I don't have a webpage, I've just released a few between here and on Mike H's SG and Google groups. They included; Bender (here in the parts bin), the SA-2 in progress (in it's own thread here), a freelanced 1/700 scale Great Lakes freighter (not available at the moment), Space: 1999 Eagle in 2 scales (one is available here in an Eagle thread in the Science Fiction section), the Tholian/Aurora that you built, generic sketch design of a fantasy rocket, and an alpha of another larger fantasy "rocket". Not to mention a "gamepiece" Hatak from Stargate (desperately in need of better texturing.)

There's a bunch more that I've built various versions of, but none that have actually been available anywhere.

Scott K.

Oops, forgot about the "Smallsub" in the ships category here, too.
  15. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Scott

I know exactly what you mean.:)

I always blamed Ed Bertschy and his steam engine model for getting me hooked on this stuff, about 4 years ago. In fact it was Ed that referred
    me to this forum. THANKYOU Ed, and by the way, ... where the heck are you??

Then there was Will's original AIRWOLF...

Thanks Will..... never did get the colored version finished yet. ... Some day.....

And Adolf Pirling's P8 Engine.

That Big Green Beast is looking mighty temping, also! Thankyou Adolf, for both!

Well, i'll have to continue this later......
  16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Thanks Aaron

Thanks to Aaron Murphy (murphyaa) for a great model of the Colonial Viper from the original Battlestar Galactica. I built it for the free model competition #2. You can see the build thread here:

Thanks again Aaron!

And Thanks also to Scott K for getting this thread started. I'll try and remember to post a thank you here whenever I finish a build from now on. I think it's a great idea.

17. Nekayah

Nekayah Member

Silver W. in another forum, Roger Pattenden (one of the great designers) reported that Ed Bertschy's interests have taken another turn: he was working on a full size replica vintage aeroplane… Too bad his site seems lost.
  18. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Nekayah

I don't believe that for a minute!! I have NEVER heard of anyone being cured of a paper modelling addiction! He'll be bauck!:twisted:

19. SteveM

SteveM Member

Actually, there are quite a few designers that have "disappeared"; presumably having turned to other interests. I fear the "addiction" may not be as permanant as we'd like to think.
  20. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Although I have no pictures to show, I would like to thank Chip Fyn and all his associates for all of the wonderful free models. They got me hooked, I still am.