The Super Pretzel

rudyy

Dec 17, 2006
Hi, I am interested in the Super Pretzel layout by Atlas http://www.atlasrr.com/Code100web/pages/10008.htm

It says the size required is 8x8, but when I look at the layout, it does not utilitze all the space. Anyone has that layout and let me know whether one 8x4 plywood with one 5.5x4 putting side by side is big enough? I just want to save up some space and to make sure all areas are to be accessible for detailing and creating scenic view.

Thanks,

Rudy

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
It doesn't use all of the table because it can't. If it did, you would have no way to reach the middle. To build that layout, you actually build a "L" shaped table, think of a 4' x 8' with a 4' x 4' to one side making a L. The part that isn't used, should be access.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
A buddy of mine built the Super Pretzel and I considered it really hard as well. Its a really cool layout. I finally built a modified version. Russ is right about the big "L". Even so, the reach across is a problem to think about. I built my entire layout on wheels so I can pull it out from the wall to get behind it to access all sides.
Doc

rudyy

Dec 17, 2006
Thanks guys. I will put a 8x4 workbench with a 5x4 one by the side then.

Rudy

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
Hey rudyy,, I have bought the super pretzel but dont have it up yet,,,,I added a total of an extra eight foot instead of four foot in a L shape,,, I plan on adding more track and changing it in a few places,,, I also have the walters 90' turntable to put in it,,,,,, cant wait to get started on it,,,,,, good luck with yours,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,,,, st

rudyy

Dec 17, 2006
sidetracked said:
Hey rudyy,, I have bought the super pretzel but dont have it up yet,,,,I added a total of an extra eight foot instead of four foot in a L shape,,, I plan on adding more track and changing it in a few places,,, I also have the walters 90' turntable to put in it,,,,,, cant wait to get started on it,,,,,, good luck with yours,,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,,,,, st

and you too. :)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
The super pretzel was my first 'serious' layout. I pretty much had plenty of help with the benchwork and trackwork from my Dad, but after that I began to really take off on my own and have fun with the scenery and structures. Great memories.

As for the location in a room, unfortunately I had to have one of the 8' sides against a wall. But good trackwork saved the day and derailments back there were few. At least in my rose-colored-glasses memory...

Galen