The start of my Camas Prairie based layout.

NIevo

Well I though I would share my project with you guys. So far it is only a 30"x9' switching layout that will become part of my master-plan down the road. The Camas Prairie was a joint shortline between UP an BN in North Central Idaho. For any of you that know the protype this would be roughly Orofino. The roadbed that is down is permanent, everything else including that track is just set in place as I was playing around with the trackplan.

This picture is the overview of the layout.

sept07100wb7.jpg

This shows the sawmill arrangement. I set cars on the tracks so you would know what there purpose is. This is the log car unloading area. The track with the roadbed will eventually be the mainline. The track closest to you will be a yard siding.

sept07101dk2.jpg

This shows the right side of the layout. The mainline is going to go into a tunnel right at the wall. The track closest to you is where the empties are left and the siding just on the other side of the mainline is where the loaded cars are set out. The empty trains will go from left to right, and the loaded from right to left. In the protype theres only about 30miles of track left after this to the right but with plenty of timber and grain traffic.

The track going behind the trees is a spur that heads out to the woods to a big logging area and a sawmill. The track with the centerbeam on it is the finished lumber loading track. One right behind that can be used for the same or its the woodchip loading track. This whole right side is going to be timbered and the start of the mountain area. In real life it is part of the town of Orofino but I like modeling the woods much better then a town
biggrin.gif

sept07102zc0.jpg

This is just another shot back toward the mill. You can see the woodchip loader track headed behind the mill.

sept07103mx1.jpg

Well, there it is. I will keep this page updated as I complete it. Hope you like it and any advice or questions feel free to let me know.

NIevo

Here are a couple updated pics. Shows the Sawmill almost done except for some details and weathering. Also showing my first turnout laid down:mrgreen:

sept07280dr7.jpg

sept07282rl1.jpg

sept07281hv5.jpg

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
I like it NIevo. I am always amazed at what can be accomplished with careful planning in a small area. Sounds like you have a solid plan in mind too. Keep us updated on your progress.

I can tell this is going to be a good one to watch already! :thumb:​

NIevo

Well heres a quick little update on what I've been up to. As you can see in the first photo I added a little storage shelf over the layout. I am going to run some lights under the whole length of it.

sept07001rm6.jpg

Most of my time lately has gone into building up my roster (eBay is going to be the downfall of me). I am going to try and get a running list added to this first page of my engines and cars. Here you can see my new Athearn GP35 and a Proto 2000 GP38-2 with a long string of log cars. The switcher on the sidetrack is a Proto 2000 SW9 with a string of woodchip cars from E&C. As you can see I have almost finished laying the track on this side of the layout except for a small bit closest to the bottom.

sept07004fy6.jpg

This one is just cause I like the picturesign1

sept07007jg6.jpg

Here you can see the log unloading spur on the left of the photo.

sept07009bt6.jpg

Hopefully, now with the weather actually being above freezing I can spend some more time out there working on it.

NIevo

I like it. Great job. Don't forget to paint those walls before you get too much scenery finished. :mrgreen:

Well I'm hoping it doesn't stay in this location for to long. We are either going to be moving or adding on in the near future so I will have a designated train room.

mentor63

Nice looking project! Looks like you have done your home work. Good smooth flowing tracks and not cluttered, as I tend to let my layout become. Keep up the good work.

UP SD40-2

NIevo:wav: , i like what i am seeing so far:thumb: , though i am looking for the UP engines:119: .

a little interesting fact for you, at the time BN came about, UP and and BN were big rivals. UP put in for many of the mergers going on at that time, and they ended up with nothing, while BN ended up with them all:eeki: , not many people ever talk about this, not sure why:confused: .

i too currently have a switching layout(30''x8'), and i am looking forward to seeing the progress on yours:thumb::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano

NIevo

NIevo:wav: , i like what i am seeing so far:thumb: , though i am looking for the UP engines:119: .

a little interesting fact for you, at the time BN came about, UP and and BN were big rivals. UP put in for many of the mergers going on at that time, and they ended up with nothing, while BN ended up with them all:eeki: , not many people ever talk about this, not sure why:confused: .

i too currently have a switching layout(30''x8'), and i am looking forward to seeing the progress on yours:thumb::mrgreen: .

Don't worry, I have a UP Proto 2000 GP38-2 that is waiting in the wings. Just adding a few detail parts to it first. UP and BN played nice on this shortline. UP and NP signed a 999yr joint lease on it when it was built and that transfered over when BN took over. Most freights had at least 1 UP and 1 BN engine which was a pretty cool sight.

NIevo

Just for you:thumb: Photo didn't turn out the best though:confused:

sept07016po3.jpg

radar

Nievo looking good. I really like that shelf idea above the layout. what kind of overhead lights are you going to use? keep up the good work.
dave

Nazgul

NIevo...
Lookin' Gooooooooood!!!!:thumb::thumb:. I like the way you have thought all through.
My only piece of advice would be:
You are moving right along....keep going! Use that momentum and you'll be suprised at how much you will accomplish in a relatively small amount of time.:thumb:

and of course.............Have Fun!!!!!:winker:

NIevo

NIevo...
Lookin' Gooooooooood!!!!:thumb::thumb:. I like the way you have thought all through.
My only piece of advice would be:
You are moving right along....keep going! Use that momentum and you'll be suprised at how much you will accomplish in a relatively small amount of time.:thumb:

and of course.............Have Fun!!!!!:winker:

Thanks, its just hard with the cold weather we've had and the fact we have to babies under 3yrs that can't go out with me.

I haven't found what lights to use yet. Want to use some kind of small, natural light fluorescent. Any suggestions? I've seen some that people are using that are $50+ a section:eek:

UP SD40-2

NIevo:wav:, NICE UP engine:thumb::mrgreen: , i am looking forward to seeing some more:winki::mrgreen: . THANKS for posting the UP engine pic:thumb::thumb::thumb: :mrgreen: .

Triplex

I like the mismatch in Cascade green between these units. Very realistic. The lighter/yellower green appears to have mostly been used in the early days, primarily on repaints rather than new power. Since the GP35 is pre-BN and the GP38-2 isn't, the mismatch is exactly the way I'd expect.

L

lester perry

Looks realy good to me. I only have one suggestion if it is not to late. change the atlas switches to peco and find a good scrap yard for the atlas. they cost a little now but will be well spent money in the future
Les

NIevo

Looks realy good to me. I only have one suggestion if it is not to late. change the atlas switches to peco and find a good scrap yard for the atlas. they cost a little now but will be well spent money in the future
Les

Why do you say that? I've never had any problem with Atlas switches.

steamhead

Hi Nievo...You're rocking right along....Keep up the good work...!! As for lighting, I tore out all (well, almost...) of the incandescents I had and replaced them with fluorescents (the 4' units available at HD). On another section of the layout I figured I would use the sockets from the old incandescents and set them up and I'm using the fluorescent "bulbs".. I like these lights better than the tube fluorescents, and the $$'s are better as well. I put these up behind a valence so they only iluminate the layout but are hidden from direct sight. Looks cool..!!

NIevo

Another quick update. Got the layout mostly cleaned off and started on the rest of the roadbed/trackwork. The riser is where its going to start climbing for the future logging branch or Headquarters line on the prototype.

Last picture shows 2 of the 3 overhead lights installed. Amazing how much a little light can help!

layout001mm6.jpg

layout003zi4.jpg

layout004gc4.jpg