" The Solder Shop Q/A "

Discussion in 'The Academy' started by rcline, Feb 16, 2005.

1. pennman

pennman Member

Pre solder yourwire ends.
    1. Clean both ends of the wire
    2. Pre solder your wire ends(sweat the wires) seperatly.
    Depends on wire size I tend to use a thinner solder for thinner or lighter materials.
    3.When both ends a chromed with solder, set them in place where you want them, apply a light amount of heat with a soldering iron and both should join nicely.
    You may want to clamp them if your not sure you can hold them.
    After completion just take a little sand paper and smooth the joint.
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The one thing that will make your soldering easier and make a good clean joint is to use flux. I apply a small amount of liquid flux to both joints and as others have said, pre-tin the wire or whatever is being soldered. The flux cleans the joint and makes the solder flow and adhere better. You wind up using less solder and getting a better-looking and more secure solder connection. If you were soldering two pieces of flat brass together, put flux between them, hold the iron on top of the joint and put the solder next to it. When the joint heats up, the flux will allow capallary action to suck the solder up into the joint.
  3. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

would this apply to like brass signal bridge kits and such?
  4. Some great thoughts and ideas I picked up.

Would like to know if there is an advantage to soldering the joint where 2 sections of flextrack meet?

I been using the rail jointers with flex track but find that it is difficult to align flextrack on a turn so I have a smooth turn. Thought the soldering would help my turns. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you are using Atlas flex, then solder the joints while the two pieces of rail are straight, and then lay them on the curve. That should help eliminate the kinks you get when using rail joiners only.

If you are using some other sort of flex track (like Micro Engineering), you need to "overbend" the rail a little more so the curve comes out smoother.

6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I don't know what everyone else does, but I solder every joint where two pieces of track come together and I'm not using an isulated joiner there. I usually solder them after the track is in place, but in the case of flex track on a curve, I'd solder it first.
  7. Thanks for the information!! Now to get my back ready for the bend and solder. Ouch..:cry: