The Rodger Young

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I'd be happy to test-build the Roger Young. I'll shoot you a PM. 8)
  2. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'd be delighted to work on a test build for you. Just pm me, email, or send me the files and I'll get started.
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Final Page and Parts Count

It's done. The Beta version (which is basically the finished version, for all intents and purposes) is complete and printed out.

The final count is: 41 pages, 84 individual pieces.

Still left to do:

Assembly instructions
    Conversion to PDF file for Beta build distribution
    Beta build process

All those who want to beta build the Young, please send me a PM with your email in the message. Please be sure your email can accept large attachments.
  4. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

I run for office the being one of the beta testers if the model be liberated!

Great work! Which the built size?
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Ekuth, I would ask to do a Beta build, But at the moment I don't have time with work and current builds. I would like to see the other Beta builders do build threads though, just to see how they build.

And well done for putting the time into this model.
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Last Update for Today

Progress so far:

Parts pages imported sucessfully into PDF file.

Actually, I should say two different files... the original "Hi-Res" version tops out at 51 MB.

Fortunately, PDF provides an option to reduce file size with very little quality loss. This also increases compatibility with previous PDF versions.

The second PDF weighs in at a little under 4 MB. Much more manageable for Beta Build distribution.

The Assembly Guide (with full pictoral reference pictures) is halfway done. Current page count for the Guide is 25 pages in a MS Word document format.

Can I go back in time and warn myself of the work I'd be putting into making this beast come to life? :roll:

ETA for Beta Build distribution: 24 to 48 hours. Bear with me! :-D
  7. ich

ich New Member

I hope in the end there will be the big highres version available. :)
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Ready for Beta Testing!

At last, at long last- she's done.

The assembly guide tops out at 43 pages, 2.68 MB file size.
    One page larger than the model itself!

Okay then- I've sent off the Beta Build to Darmat, as he's the only one who PM'd me his email.

I'd like to have at least one more (two optimally). You need to have an email that will accept larger files. The parts PDF is 3.33 MB and the guide is 2.68 MB.

I would like to have comments and pictures at the least, and a build thread would be great!

Anyone interested, drop me a PM with a valid email address.
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Ekuth, I really wish I could, but at 85 pages altogether, and me running out of ink (and paper) again....

Are there many small parts? Does the model still look buildable (and not by using TWE Tiny skills!) if it is reduced by, say half?

Scott K.
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Define "small"...

Here's a sheet for example:

View attachment 10534

These are supports that go on the underside of the bridge assembly and run almost 1/2 the length of the ship. The parts are scaled to one sheet of 8.5 x 11" paper. You can see my problem here...

And the instruction guide does not necessarily have to be printed out. If you work in front of your computer, you can simply pull it up in Word and refer to it that way.

Otherwise, yeah, this project is gonna eat some serious ink.

Admittedly, I went a little overboard with illustrations in the guide, but if there's one thing that bugs me, it's sparse model instructions. Also, because of the way she's put together, you really need a visual aide. For example:

View attachment 10535

I suppose it "could" be reduced by half and be buildable, but it would be bordering on the TWE side of things. That was the scale I originally went with and it was just too small to be practical with the amount of detail I've put into it.

Of course, you could take it to Kinko's or OfficeMax and have them print it up for you... :-D

ARMORMAN Guest

I'd love to, but I'm in the middle of 2 builds already.

12. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

I'd like to have a go.
  13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Man!! I wanna build this one!! But, I can't promise how much time I could commit to it....

But my e-mail address is in my public profile, just in case... :twisted:
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Beta Test Team Assembled!

We have our Beta Build team!

Thanks to Hot4Darmat, Milleniumfalsehood, Gomidefilho and Jackrum for volunteering to build her.

Follow the action over at:

Mos95b, I'll extend one last slot for you if you want. Send me a PM with your email address, I cannot find it in your profile. :cry:
  15. daredevilbr

daredevilbr Member

Congratulations Ekuth, the model is fantastic!!! :grin:
  16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Congratulations from me as well Ekuth. A fabulous looking model. I've been wanting to do a larger ship and this fits the bill quite nicely. Now if I can just get those other projects out of the way....
  17. dirthmunkey

dirthmunkey New Member

I can't wait to see the finished product.
  18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Check out the BETA build thread. Ekuth has some great photos of his build, and I am hoping to have some more of mine up tonight (not so great, photos or build ;) )
  19. dirthmunkey

dirthmunkey New Member

Cool Pics

The front half looks amazing. I can't wait to build one of my own.
  20. LetterQ

LetterQ New Member

Is there any news on this? It looks like it will be a really fun build.