The Rodger Young

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Rough textures?

She looks pretty darn good for "very rough" texture work Ekuth. I'd be willing to build it just like it is.

Did you really mean 39 for the part count? Looks like more than that.
  2. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

Saw the film again 2nite, forgotten how sexy those cruisers are! best of luck
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks Sj! 39 Major Parts. Some of the parts consist of more than one part- for example, the Right Engines, which consist of the upper and lower halves, and the top and bottom set of engines. As to how many actual parts it will have... I haven't counted yet, but would guess at somewhere around 50+.
  4. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hot4Darmat ~ its a deal! as soon as I can print again.:-D

wow! ekuth your a fast builder and man.. your an even faster learner! at the rate your picking up designing, I think your a bit of a natural engineer. It looks like you've got a solid handle on the texturing in META, shame there isn't more extensive photo coverage of the studio model ~ texture material (that's if you wanted to go down that path), although, there's plenty of 3D render pix on offer for detail ~ windows etc.. I seriously doubt you'll need any help, but if there's anything I can assist with, give us a hoy! She's lookin' good.~ I'm really disappointed that I can't be one of your test builders..

Lol..'can't stop' ... Yep it's like a drug, I'd bet your 'Must Dev' list is growing exponentially as well!
  5. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Today's pics and changes...

Thanks Gearz. If you have any textures, by all means shoot them my way. I haven't gotten that far yet, been concentrating on getting the primitive shapes right first.

As to that... today's changes/additions:

Complete rework of the Engines. Now they match the reference photos much more closely, and I'm happy with them.

Addition of greebling on the Engine Support... it looked too barren as it was, and the reference pics came in handy to flesh it out.

Addition of the two half domes on the top of the main hull... Observation Domes? That's what I call them anyway. Curious to see what Pepakura will make of them...

Rework of the forward observation platform. The previous version looked too much like a Star Destroyer bridge and was not accurate to the reference photos.

Addition of "ring" around the shaft that protrudes from the "tunnel" (this is the girder area on the top of the ship that runs from the nose to the ring). Additon of joining box to "tunnel" area.

View attachment 10239

View attachment 10240

View attachment 10241

Next up: Textures!
  6. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

First Texturing Pics

Okay, I *thought* I knew how to texture in Meta... For the life of me, I cannot figure out the UV texturing, but I have a good grasp on the Flat Map texturing now... all I had to do was figure out the obvious. :roll:

Anyway, after much ado about nothing, I've done the preliminary textures for the Nose and Tunnel sections. I wasn't able to find appropriate textures online, so I had to create my own. Fairly happy with the results so far. What do you all think?

Shines the name:

View attachment 10330

The tunnel texture is designed so that the whitish areas will be removed upon construction, giving an open latticework.

View attachment 10331

Close up of the bow:

View attachment 10332

ARMORMAN Guest

Looks good!

I hate to be the dense one, but I would like to know how to go from planar (which I am familiar with) to UV mapping.
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I tried like crazy to figure out the UV mapping, but I just couldn't figure it out. The flat mapping seems more intuitive, although I had to learn to match the texture to the face and how to properly set the rotation of the texture... I'm sure there's an easier way (maybe) but I couldn't find it...
  9. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Texturing is DONE.

Texturing complete.

Next step is to run it through Pepakura for unfolding... then Beta Build.

Anyone wanna give this beast a shot? I need detailed feedback on fit of parts with photos. If you're interested, let me know.
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

11. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

NICE!!! excellent work!
  12. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

looking very good cant wait to build it....
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Woohoo! Starship builder for the Quadrant!

Looks like I'm to late again ekuth, you've got the Tex looking great. There's not much I can offer you, I was planning on using some of the 3d render pix as textures, what you've got there looks better. Attached is a zip with two sets of engine textures I was working on ~ using screen caps as reference. Set # 2 is probably closest ? I could give the base files a tweak if you had something else in mind..

Most excellent!!:-D
  14. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

That is going to be a mighty, MIGHTY model.
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

In the words of the movie-

"Thank you, Lieutenant!"

Those engine textures were EXACTLY what I needed. I wasn't happy with the ones I had used, but couldn't get the custom ones I was fiddling with just right.

These are perfect! Well, see for yourself:

View attachment 10424

I'm running the model through Pepakura now, but some of the parts are coming out rather... small. Like TWE small. So, I'm having to fiddle with finding a good scale for her simply for ease of assembly.

Which is going to make for a BIG model. How big? BIG. Once I've gotten the BETA printed out, I'll have a better idea how big, but I wouldn't be too far off to say several feet long... for you metric people, I'm guessing about a meter or more right now. :twisted:

She's definately going to be one large, complex model. Not for the faint of heart!
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

1m long. If the models on this forum get any bigger, I will need to move house. This is looking better every day.

Has anyone counted how many ship's where in the fleet and anyone fancy building the entire fleet? If you have the space to store them that is.
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I re-re-re-watched the movie yesterday, but could not really determine how many variants there were...

I did take a good, long look at the Ticonderoga station, though. :-D
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Please don't tell me that you are going to build a Ticonderoga station at the same scale. I have a forest about 50 meters from my house, I think I would need it to build the station.

And yes I am only jokeing, a Ticonderoga station model would be excellent, we could scale the rodger young to fit.
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I'm not sure I have any sanity left, but I have finished vetting the meshes in Pepakura. Much to my surprise everything looks good so far.

I'm in the process of transferring from Pep to a master build file. This will take a day or so of final grooming, and then I need to put together assembly instructions, which won't take too long.

So I repeat:

Don't make me beta test it myself, folks. 8) (Which of course I will anyway...)
  20. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Simply fantastic the project there is now a long leaning time in doing a Rodger Young will be a project the least why the work is too competent. Congratulations!:-o :rofl: