The Rodger Young

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gearz, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Indeed... what is the progress of this project, Gearz?

I'll need something to be crazy with after I finish the Uber-Galactica... :-D
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Yep.. Sorry about that, I got side tracked trying to finish a few other projects, I have a lot of material complied, just figuring out how to post it so its practical / useful.

Its surprising how just a few clicks in the Dev process, translate into a page of text and five attachments.. well.. for me anyway.. By the looks of it, members and guests want more detail, regarding design + use of software etc. So that's what I'm aiming for on the Young.
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Gods... I see why you set this one to the side...

I started pulling apart the model in Meta with an eye to import to Pep for unfolding;

ARMORMAN Guest

I thought the one designed for the CG series was really cool.
  5. Gearz

Gearz Member

Hahaha Yep.. there's Lotzz of little pink dots and Lines N thingies. It doesn't help that all the tiny windows are set into the wire frame itself. My little space engineer guy started at the nose and is busily floating back along the hull, hammering all the dots into place as he goes. So far he's still only back to the dropship bays... He's not a happy camper, cause' I keep sending him back and forth between the Young the Nostromo ~ Narcissus ++ a bunch of other ships parked in the docking bays, so the work has slowed to a crawl.. I've tried to have a word with him about his performance, but he just keeps transmitting something or other about "NNnnnnHaaairr' ???

ARMORMAN ~ I'm not familiar with the CG series version, sounds interesting, I'll nip off and google it..

ARMORMAN Guest

It was the Valley Forge...It still looks's some images I found on the web...
  7. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Windows? Okay, we must be using different files then... mine is just a basic layout of primitives that form the ship with no texturing.

Still, it was obviously created as a 3d file only, definately not with an eye to making a model of it. It reads as a single object, which I'm having to painstakingly seperate into section, which become separate objects...

Made difficult because whoever built it in the first place simply lumped together a bunch of primitives- so there's shapes that extend inside other shapes... intersecting faces... multiple vertexes...

Basically I'm pulling apart, reshaping, rebuilding and cleaning up. I doubt very much that it will look like the original file once I'm done with it. :roll:
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

As a side note, as I'm doing this...

Just how big would you guys like the final model to be?

There's going to be ALOT of assembly on this one. Each main piece of the ship (take the nose/bridge assembly, for instance) is made up of smaller pieces that will have to be assembled to make the whole...

Lots and lots of construction steps for this one, that's for sure. Gonna need to make an assembly diagram like a (sshhhh!) plastic kit.

I'm thinking the bigger the better?
  9. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

I'm new to this group (been lurking awhile), but recognize some of you from other sites (I'm one of the Independence War paper model guys...). Greetings all! I love this site.

I had to join up just to add my encouragement to Gearz to forge ahead (no pun intended) on this project. My vote is for BIG, and leaning toward a more detailed model. For example: I love the BSG model you made and am reprinting it so I can greeblie it up with proper 3D panels etc. I encourage you to do this fantastic ship design, Rodger Young up right with as much detail as is reasonably feasible in paper!

I also am a fan of the cool ship designs from the ST:Roughnecks CGI kid series, and thought they did a great job on the original vessl designs there, too. Their dropships were way better-looking than the movie version's "flying box".
  10. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

You know, this sets me to thinking...

Am I stepping on your toes working on the Young, Gearz?

If you're actively developing/working on it, let me know and I'll knock off my work... though it sounds like we may be working from different source material, so it might be interesting to see what each of us comes up with.:-D

Anyway, let me know, would ya?
  11. Gearz

Gearz Member

Bill ~ No worries, the pics are great. Some very nice designs there! might make a nice companion model of the Young.

ekuth ~Yep definitely different meshes, I was working on the mesh from the Lightwave group. There's several floating about.. a lot of them are recycled from one complex mesh. Re Dev'ing the Young, by all means go ahead mate, you certainly won't stand on my toes. In all probability you'll be able get one out there way before I possibly could.. So go4it!. By the sounds of his posts I think [w.holzinger] was Dev'ing one as well, so who knows the community might even have a choice of 3 models in the end.

Hot4darmat ~ Howdy, and welcome to the forums, its good to see you here. Thanks for the encouragement, but I think we'll have to hand the torch to ekuth on this one for the time being ~ My hobby time seems to be dwindling, and Yep the Galactica would certainly look a lot nicer with some greeblies, I plan to do the same when I get the op to build her. * Whip up a gallery and show us some of your models..

btb..Excellent work on the IW models! I've downloaded a few, that I'd love to build. The Commonwealth Corvette is a fav, I love the all art work/textures.
  12. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Hey, you post a pic of your I-War Dreadnaught-class corvette build, and I'll post pics of my BSG when she's done.

ekuth, sorry if I misread these posts...I want to offer you as much encouragement as anyone willing to tackle the RY. I did not mean to imply that only Gearz merited the kudos. Your stuff looks awesome, too. I sincerely hope you plow ahead and create the mother of all Rodger Young Models.

Like I said: Make 'er big and detailed!
  13. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

LOL. No problem, no offense taken.

Big is easy... Detailed will take some work... :roll:
  14. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Sneak Peak!

Alllllllmost done pulling it apart. Only thing remaining is the drive section. Which is completely wrong. (As you can see below)
    After that, run the pieces through Pep to identify redline areas I've missed, regroom, re-re-groom and then I can get to texturing...

Well, picture is worth 1000, right? Well, here's 3...

View attachment 10172

View attachment 10173

View attachment 10174

I know, it may not look like much, but there's alot of work that's went into it. Almost every piece has been completely altered from the original file.

I know Gearz can appreciate what I'm saying! :roll:
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I'd like to have a go at building that. And 'wow' lot of icons in your quick launch bar.
  16. Jackrum

Jackrum Member

That looks like a fearsome build in the making.
  17. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Thanks guys!

It's been alot of hard work... okay, I finished the basic rearrangement of the Engines, and made several other alterations (proportion of the "nose", alignment of the "tunnel", addition of shaft from "tunnel" through the "mid deck"...)

Still tweaking it here and there. I'm not completely satisfied with the shape of the Engines themselves, but I'm having to avoid making things too complex in order to actually get this finished... we'll see.

More pics:

View attachment 10194

View attachment 10195

View attachment 10196
  18. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

More Pics and Parts

Well, the part count (that is, the number of major sections of the ship that will have to be independently assembled- some of which are comprised of more than one solid "part") stands at 39... yeowzah!

To give you an idea of how I've had to split it up, let's look at how the "nose" of the ship will be assembled:

Starting at the very front of the RY:

View attachment 10197

Now the piece that actually nestles on top of all the others... the "bridge", if you will:

View attachment 10198

And the other hull sections, in sequence.

View attachment 10199

And so:

View attachment 10200

And so:

View attachment 10201

So, you can get an idea of how much assembly will be going into this beast. And the nose is one of the easier areas! :-D
  19. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Well, I ran the mesh through Pepakura and I'm pleased to announce:

NO RED LINES!!!!!!

Yay for me, and thank you to Gearz for showing me how and teaching me to be so #$#@@#*&^!@!!! thorough when working in Meta... it DOES pay off.

Now, I can begin to texture!!!! :-D :-D :-D
  20. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

I Cant Stop!!!

Okay, I'll stop for tonight. I promise.

But I just had to slap a little paint on her.

Very, very, very, very rough texture work. Definately nowhere's near what she'll look like finished, but:

View attachment 10207

View attachment 10208