The rest of Leo's stash is up!

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by umtutsut, Dec 12, 2006.

1. umtutsut

umtutsut Member

Jon has put up the rest of Leo's most excellent models, including the Vostok and Voskhod spacecraft!

A hearty "Molodets!" and "Spasibo bol'shoy!" to both Jon and Leo for sharing these with everyone.

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Sweetness for the holidays! Thanks Jon!
  3. Regie

Regie Member

Hooooooooooo boy!

It's a good job the hlidays are fast approaching! Oh, my poor "to do" list!
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I'm gonna faint!!! :-D
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I tried my hand at Leo's Vostok. A great kit and any errors are totally my own doing. I wasn't totally happy with the way my sphere came out, the joints are too rough, but next time I try to use his method of rolling the joints a bit better using a small, hard rubber ball (one of those "super balls" would probably work well). The wire I used for the antennae was also a bit soft so anytime I handled the model they got a bit bent out of shape. Anyway, here are the results. A wonderful model design and one I would not hesitate to recommend to those that are interested in this historic spacecraft!

6. Texman

Texman Guest

Very nice Jim. Glad to see you got some build time. Still looking for mine!

7. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, guys!

@n810: The sphere does need a better job of rolling the parts to impart the correct are trying to create a sphere from peels, in essence. Using a small hard ball, like one of those "Super Balls" really does do the trick, a tip I learned from Leo. I just didn't roll the parts well enough, particularly the joints, when building the time I will take my time and see if I can do a better job of it.

@Texman (Ray): Thanks, I built this on and off whenever I stole some free has been a crazy two months and I had a hard time finding some modeling time, but, well, I just had to make the time for this model. I do hope the New Year gives all of us a bit more time for modeling, it's the little bit of sanity I find these days since I am so busy at work.

Happy New Year to all!!

8. Hans Christian

Ooooooo!!! :-d
  9. Jim Krauzlis

I added Leo's R7 Third Stage to the Vostok...what a great addition!

I found the build to be pretty straight forward and everything fit very well, any mistakes being my own doing, as usual. This kit, which Leo currently offers on his webpage, adds quite a bit to the Vostok, I think. I just love Leo's Russian spacecraft kits, they fill what used to be a serious gap in the online paper space craft models. I hope you all try this one, it was a real fun build and went together fairly quickly. Here are the photos:

I'll post photos when the interstage assembly is done, just a few things I need to add but I'm hoping it will be doable this weekend.

Hope you try Leo's models, they're a blast!!

10. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

Beautiful work, with great looking photos showing it off..
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Thanks so much, Peter...I really do appreciate the kind words!

I finished the interstage today, part of the time being spent devising a different way to connect it to the R7 Third Stage. The model as designed by Leo uses a set of trapezoids along the bottom edge of the Third Stage which fit into a "pouch", if you will, that are along the upper outside edge of the Interstage lattice. I didn't like the way that looked, it didn't line up very easily and didn't seem to hold the two parts together very well when done. Instead, I used the same trapezoidal parts and created clips made of card stock which slide onto the top edge of the Interstage. They are a rather snug fit and hold the two parts together quite well, luckily.

Anyway, here is the Interstage assembled without the "pouches".

This is a view of the "clips" that I put together on the bottom of the Third Stage unit...hope it is clear enough to make out the slots into which the top of the Interstage slides into.

And here are the two parts fitted together.

Finally, the complete set-up with the Vostok capsule.

I have to say again, Leo did a superb job on this model design and has provided us all with a wonderful gift by making these models available to everyone as a free download. Thanks again, Leo, I for one very much appreciate what you have done!

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to take a look!

12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Awesome job Jim!
    She really is a beauty and one of the most detailed models available from the space genre. You have really done her justice! Way to go!

13. jparenti

jparenti Member

If only I was more intelligent (or good with design) I would build this... the OK-GLI version of the Buran. It doesn't look like it would be much of a change from Leo's Buran, actually.

Attached Files:

14. Hans Christian

ah.. the one with the 4 MiG-29 jet engines... yeah, I like to see that... :-D
  15. s33k3r

s33k3r Member

16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

it's a shame the russian's ran out of money for their space industry. The Energia team had some really good ideas. Just think where the space industry would be now if they got the money to build rockets like the Energia II.
  17. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

That's Cool!

Talk about Heavy Lift!

18. Energia II

I started design of this rocket (from desember) but look aside...
    Now I'm finishing Proton. Energia II is next finish.

19. Ponytail

Ponytail Member

Our wish is your command!

Don't spoil us!
    Papermodelers'are already a greedy and gluttonous bunch of people...:twisted:

OKAY they're a nice bunch too :lol:
  20. s33k3r

s33k3r Member

Thank you :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: , now i just need some space for all these models, :twisted: