The preserved Great Western giant #6000

interurban

Here is something for you history buffs. :rolleyes:

King George V pictured on a special train at Abergavenny in 1972.
The engine carries the bell presented at the time of her visit to the U.S.A. in 1927 to attend the centenary celebrations of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

? anyone remember this visit?
Any old U.S.A. pics??
;)

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 107

grumbeast

Beautiful shot Chris, and in Abergavenny too!.. I was but a wee lad in 72 but do remember Dryslwyn Castle on a steam special at Newport in 1982 I think
It was the first time I saw a mainline steam locomotive under its own power what an amazing spectacle!.. I can still remember the smell and heat coming off the boiler. Here's a picture I took that day.

Graham

Attachments

• uk70640.jpg
    uk70640.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 100

interurban

Hi Graham, how are you ?? and the east coast doing?
That pick I scaned is out of a great book my sister-in-law brought over for me 3 weeks ago, she got it for 2 quid at a charity sale!!! Lucky me eh!

My,, I remember them well, my brother and I often went train spotting in and around Manchester, I remember sitting on top of the bridge at Bagely station,
Wythenshaw/Sale area, watching the steamers go under and getting an eyefull of soot / grit and whatever else came up the stack.
Very happy days,,all gone now :cry:
Although I model traction I do love all power units especialy the old steamers.
Wales is a lovely place to railfan!!! we had many a vaction there you know,
and had a scrummpy or three :eek:
by the by a lovely shot you have there boyo!!

grumbeast

2 Pounds!.. Thats a good find!!

I never got to Manchester, don't know why, Cardiff, Newport and Bristol were my main haunts with the occasional trip to Crewe (who could resist Crewe!!).

The east coast is great! There are leaves on the trees and hopefully I'll soon get some time to hang around trackside!

Graham

Lighthorseman

If I May Jump In...

It's unrelated, but England was the site of my one and only time I saw steam in actual revenue service.

It was 1976, and I was 10 years old. We were visiting my father's parents, who lived in Sunderland, way up near the Scotland border and the Tyne river. My father hoisted me up over one of the ubiquitous English stone walls to see...a STEAM!! switch engine (shunter) working in a yard. I cannot even remember the specific details, but it was something like an 0-6-0, and I would almost swear that it was red, but cannot guarantee it.

The sight and smell of a real honest-to-god steam railway has never left me, and somehow, seems even more real than the occaisional brush with restored steam I've seen here in Canada.