The Portuguese Railroads

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Originally posted by jon-monon
Great pics and explaination Richardo!!!! Thanks!

Is the 1300 Whitcombe American? Do you have any pictures of one?

Our 1300 Whitcombe is another American Genuine we have in Portugal. I have some photos of them, unfortunately, these photos are all from their last period... so, locomotives were preparing to die...

These locomotives, in their days, were the main locomotives for the most prestigious trains in Portugal, from the Sud-Express to the Lusitania Express (from France and Spain, respectively) and some of the fastest trains in Portuguese North and Eastern Lines. With the electrification of the North Line, they were sent to the Barreiro Station and were given the trains to the South. These were really fast locomotives, yet they had a serious traction problem, especially in the Algarve Hills... when they were pulling a "normal" train for Algarve with about 12 Budd Coaches, or something like that, they began failing and sometimes passengers were asked to leave the train and accompany it on foot... Great times...

Attachments

• loc 1300d-pinhal novosmall.jpg
    loc 1300d-pinhal novosmall.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 165
Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Talking about old things...

I want to share this picture with you since it comes more or less, following my topic about the Schindler Coaches...

The Schindler's were used in Portugal, at first, for the commuter trains between Lisbon and Sintra. In the early 1950's with the coming of the diesel to Portugal, crossing the tunnel between Rossio and Campolide were forbidden to steam locomotives. Until the electrification were complete, in 1952 in this line, inside the tunnel, CP - Portuguese Railroads, used our 1200 switchers to bring trains from Rossio to Campolide, where a 2500 electric locomotive pulled then the train to Sintra.
In this picture, you see a 1200 pulling Schindler coaches from the Rossio Tunnel in Campolide (to those who know Portugal, that landmark in the back is the Aqueduto das Águas Livres - the Aqueduct)... and the 2500 electric locomotive waiting in the siding to pick that train...

Attachments

• 2500-2small.jpg
    2500-2small.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 155