The Pomperaug Railroad is on the way!

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Well, I finally got a Rail Images account and can start posting progress shots of the Pomperaug RR. This is a shelf layout that runs around 3 walls (13' x 21' x 13'). It bridges three windows and tunnels through the wall into an adjoining 6' x 10' staging room. I used Closetmaid shelf brackets with extruded foam as a base. The third photo is a mock-up of the bagging building and warehouse for my cement plant. This plant will be about 13' long when completed. The track is only placed and pinned, until I am satisfied with the final layout plan. These are the first photos I'm posting, so bear with me.

aaa.sized.jpg

aad.sized.jpg

aac.sized.jpg

Eric

Anachron

Dec 8, 2003
Sweden
I am currently working on the same thing so it this will be very intersting to follow :)
really interested how you will solve windows and on my layout I want to try and bridge doors to so I can get a loop around the whole room. :p

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Anachron:
Each wall standard is screwed into a wall stud (16" OC). I actually screwed 1" x 2" 's on top of the metal brackets, running from the backdrop to the front of the shelf. The 1" x 2"'s will provide a mounting surface for the masonite fascia. These were shimmed, where necessary, to maintain a level surface. I made a frame to span the window openings and support the foam. The shelves are 24" to 30" wide, but the brackets are not that long. The 1" x 2"'s give the foam full support, as they are cantilevered past the ends of the metal brackets.

2" foamboard was then attached to the wood with Liquid Nails for projects, then an additional 1" of foam was laminated on, using a water based contact cement.

The layout is not technically "modular," however, it is made up of 7 foot +/- modules or segments that can be removed and brought to the workbench for wiring, messy scenery, etc., simply by removing 2 screws from each bracket. This is a very sturdy construction method. There is no wood spanning between the brackets. The foam is very stable, on its own. The masonite backdrop also spans the windows. I made removable sections that are held in place with mirror clips. This allows full access for cleaning the windows. It takes all of 2 minutes to remove the screws, pull off the module, slip out the backdrop section and then tilt the windows in for cleaning. I'll post more photos to illustrate what I am describing.

Anachron

Dec 8, 2003
Sweden
thx for the info pomperaugrr

The way you have made it "modular" is the way I also have planned to. I am currently building in my “boy room” but will soon move to my own place and continue building the railroad in the living room. I may have had a bad experience with foam but all the foam I have used has always differed in height, so I will probably only use foam to create mountains and hills.

Looking forward to more pics of your layout :)