The Podunk and Urbanopolis in HO/HOn3 & N

RonP

Member of the WMRC
He is talking about the helix having a an open slot to slide the nut on the threaded rod into. As apposed to inserting the threaded rod through a drilled hole. the later would be very restrictive and the slot would be well very easy to adjust and with what I am thinking to take apart.

nscaler711

Mar 23, 2007
CO MO
ya know its a great idea but if you were crazy and i mean really crzy you could run the HOn3 on the N-scale half, and terrorize the n-scale world

of course im jus crazy, heck id prolly add Z-scale to the equation lolz

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Close, but no cigar. HOn3 is 36" between rails and thus a scale 6 inches less than N scales 4'8 1/2". I would have to have HOn30 (30" between rails) to be able to run it on N scale track. When I first bought my narrow guage engine, I had grand dillusions of bringing it home to test run it on my N scale layout... that was a no go. The engine is just wide enough that the flanges don't quite fit in between the N scale rails.
Clear as mud? Or did I just confuse the issue further?
Z scale - I've always wanted to try something in Z scale but I think I am already trying to cram too much into this layout. Still, an intriguing idea.

mooreway

Jan 31, 2007
St George, UT
www.mooreway.com
Wow Train nut that is quite a layout you are designing. I can't wait to see how it progresses. In your HO level, where there is tunnel track that is viewable, you could build a nice mining scene. I have always thought an underground scene would be fun but havn't had the chance to build one.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
One observation towards the future of your railroad: kids grow up very quickly. How will that affect their access to those lower level trains, and will those trains below ground still be as useful to the layout in general when they are no longer viewable?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Hmmmm, good thoughts. I did not think towards the future... just the here and now. The HOn3 will be for me so that will stay as is. Upon your comment, I was thinking that I would probably reclaim some of the HO real estate and turn it back over to the N scale division. However, I would probably leave it there as well so that on those rare occasions when I do want to run something in HO, I will have that abilitiy. The trackage underneath the layout... a necessary evil to accomplish my immediate goal I guess.