The Pine Forest Grows

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by roryglasgow, Nov 18, 2001.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Here are photos of the latest additions to my pine forest. I'm going to cover the hill on the east side of the layout almost entirely with pines, and put in a small logging camp.

I manufactured eight of these trees at once--whittled the dowels, drilled the holes, roughed them up with a file, painted them, glued on the caspia branches, then glued on the foliage. I've got another dozen dowels waiting to be drilled.

This first photo is of the western end of the hill. The area includes some scratch-built deciduous trees, a few pine trees from a Woodland Scenics kit, and some of the understory vegetation made of various materials. The hill is a little less than one-third covered (the rest is "open grassland"), and I will be adding more pines to the western end. I'm really pleased with this technique, Shamus! Thanks for the ideas!

-Rory

Attached Files:

2. roryglasgow

Here's the hill from another angle. The pines in the foreground are the first two I made plus two more. When I went to the hobby store and bought more foliage I bought the wrong color, so these four look different from the other eight. I guess they'll just sit there and decorate the area outside of town!

The country store in the foreground was moved from the end of the spur over by the hill. I'm going to make it a permanent fixture of the town and put the logging camp at the end of the spur. A sawmill will eventually reside on a spur on the north side of the layout (to the left of the photo).

-Rory

P.S. - Boy, I sure am envious of these fancy digital cameras y'all have been getting! One day...one day...

Attached Files:

3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Rory, I am proud of you, they are excellent looking trees.

Just a thought, next time you take a photo, try putting a white cloth/sheet behind to hide the "Blue chair" make a better photo as well.
    Nice work, keep it up.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Rory
    Those trees are fantastic!
    I was thinking along the same lines as Shamus, that a backdrop would really "finish" the scene. You wouldn't necessarily need to embark on a major construction project, just a simple piece of light blue posterboard, or plywood that you could temporarily set up behind your framed shot.
  5. roryglasgow

That gives me an idea, Charlie... Next time I'm at Hobby Lobby I'm going to look at a few things...

-Rory
  6. justind

justind Member

caspia

I know we have all asked this before, but where can I get Caspia? I live in a fairly large city, is it something I get at a craft store? I would rather not have to order it online becuase I am impatient.
  7. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

caspia

Justin, Caspia is a craft type thing. Any craft store, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, any place that has artificial or dried flowers. Probably florist, maybe even Wal-Mart. You have probably seen it dozens of times, it is a very common item. It is 6-14 inches long, very spindly stems, natural color of dead grass, small limb type branches with tiny ball-type leaves. To make a tree would be about 6-8 strands, but with a trunk, 1-2 stalks would do a tree. It is also pretty inexpensive.

Lynn
  8. roryglasgow

9. justind

justind Member

thanks

Hello Rory,
    Thanks for the lead on the Caspia, I did go to the craft store and found it (preserved) in a blue color that looks like a blue-green evergreen tree...it is really pretty, a light spray of green spray paint and it looks even better (You didn't warn me that Caspia would be the worst smelling item in the shop though).
    Also picked up a cool fern that that has full branches and might make some good trees (I think this was similiar to what Shamus is using for his).
  10. roryglasgow

Sorry, Justin... I forgot to mention the smell! I think it might be the stuff they use to preserve it with, because I didn't detect a strong odor on the dried stuff (but I had a cold when I checked the smell the other day). It smells something like rotten fish and body odor, doesn't it? :eek: After you spraypaint it, though, the smell is reduced. And I haven't detected any smells coming from my trees (they smell like balsa wood and that messy foliage stuff).

Funny thing is that when I bought the first batch I sniffed it (I'm a very smell oriented person) and thought it smelled like cinnamon. The problem is that the ENTIRE STORE smells like cinnamon. After I got home I kept smelling this awful smell and was surprised to find out it was the caspia! Uggggggg....

Maybe another idea is to spray the trees with a light mist of pine scent...

-Rory