The OVT&L's Tyson Rayles Car

OK, I couldn't resist the pun.. :D

Anyway, here is the Osage Valley's tie and rail car. It was inspired by a prototype photo in the latest issue of TimberTimes. I plan to build 5 more.

It's constructed on a scratchbuilt frame that I sent to Rusty Stumps for molding and casting in white metal. Once that was done, it was a simple, quick car to build. I have decided it needs a brake wheel and undercarriage truss rods, though, so I've got a little more to do on it. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• tierailcar32.jpg
    tierailcar32.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 97

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Very nice car. Your paint job makes the car look like it is all wood. A couple of questions. Do you know how Rusty Stumps made the mold for casting the white metal? You had the frame cast in white metal, did you glue a wood deck on?

Greg Elems

Thanks, guys.

Greg, Rusty and I have been kicking around the idea of casting and possible kit production for quite a while. He's tried several different methods of mold making and casting using a variety of materials. Right now, he's experimenting with spin casting and two-part molds.

As for the decking, it's scale stripwood glued on with Duco Cement. I like Duco better than ACC for gluing together two dissimilar materials.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Casey,
When you look at something long enough, you finally realize what is there that captures your attention. I've seen your trestle, water, rocks, before in several photos you've posted, but the wetlands.....the ground under the trestle, looks so natural !
I'll have to save this shot out for future reference.
I still have about thirty flatcars to build for the SVRY, and there are no kits for them. Might have to talk to Rusty about some casting.
Nice T&R flat !!
Pete