the output of digitrax zephyr

r108tra

My zephyr output a 25.4V AV to my track (RAIL A/RAIL B).
I check all output with a multimeter, the wall outlet is 111.2V AC, the PS315 is 16.8V AC (menu say 15 VAC) and zephyr is 25.4V AC (menu say 12.8V). Is this ok?

what output did your booster send to track ? thank you for your reply.
Joey

ytter_man

Not sure why a Zephyr is outputting 25V, most of the time while using one at the club we were lucky to get 14v at the farthest reaches of the layout, even with plenty of feeders. Ya sure you're not reading some accessory outputs? Have you had any problems running locos? Dont forget that the rail itself offers a bit of resistance.

steamhead

The voltage should drop when a load is placed across the rails....Try measuring it with a loco running on the track.....

r108tra

Thanks for your reply !!

hello ytter_man,
I measure the output from panel of zephyr directly, so I'm sure the output of zephyr is 25.4V AC. I can control my locos (already setting different number) but I can't read or write information to decoder right now.

hello steamhead,
I tried your suggestion and the output is 25.2V when I running 3 locos.

I think my zephyr is broken and I am going to send it to digitrax for repair.
again, thank you guy for your help !!

steamhead

Yikes.....!!! That is bad....:eek:
If your system is less than a year old, the warranty should cover it...if you have proof of purchase....

mfm37

Your Zephyr should put out about 14 volts.

First make sure that zero stretching is not on. Dispatch address 00 after zeroing its speed.
To measure the output get a DC meter. Place the red + probe on the rail A terminal and the black - probe on the ground terminal.
Repeat this measurement with the DC meter between the rail B terminal and ground. The two readings should be close to the same. Add the two readings together and that is the output of your Zephyr.