The Orlik DH98 Mosquito

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by David H, Jan 24, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

Thoughts of “oh my god…what am I thinking” spring to mind but here goes anyway.

The Orlik DH98 Mosquito VI fighter-bomber.

A build thread, but a slow one I fear.

I loved the Mosquito as kid, it could do anything and go anywhere and it was the star of a “cool” movie.

I would be a bit more reserved today but as an engineering achievement and an example of lateral thinking it still rates with the best of them.

Originally conceived as a “super fast” two place bomber then reconnaissance plane its potential as a night-fighter was quickly realised followed by “night interdiction platform” which led the to the fighter-bomber. Bomber Command – initially a reluctant customer – used them as pathfinders and diversionary aircraft. Then there were the precision raids on Gestapo facilities and a mail plane and a version armed with a 57mm anti-tank gun…

And of course it was made of wood!

So effective was the Mosquito that after WW2 production continued, as did front line service with the RAF until the early 50s and later with overseas customers.

Tin Tin the heroic Belgium comic strip reporter, is embroiled in a scandal involving the sale of second hand Mosquitoes in the Red Sea Sharks adventure and later attacked by and sunk by a Mossie. I think this will keep me going!

The Orlik kit is the mass produced fighter-bomber version and carries D-Day invasion stripes, so I guess it is in use in late summer 1944. I would love a night-fighter or a glazed nose USAAF recon version…

Initial survey of the kit show it to be detailed but not OTT. The cockpit interior is relatively 2D but well concealed behind the heavy canopy. Conversely the bomb-bay and 4 x 20mm cannon are very detailed and on full view if open position is selected. The undercarriage and wheels look challenging but fun. Finally there appear to be parts to allow the control surfaces to be built in realistic positions but this is not covered in the 4 sides of instructions. Orlik have yet to publish English instructions on the web site.

I am a little disappointed that the wings are joined to either side of the fuselage rather than being built as a single unit passing through the plane. But it still looks gorgeous!

So there we go. I will strive to keep all posted and build at a reasonable pace, just don’t hold your breath.

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is a neat plane - looking forward to the build!

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow! Lets pull up the front row seat, crack a refreshing brew and watch! This is one of my perennial favourites, esp. every few months they keep playing 633 Squadron on the cable channels. Good luck!
  4. josve

josve Active Member

I'm also looking forward to this build!!
    I ordered the kit several weeks ago, haven't received it yet....
    So it will be nice to see how it actually looks.
    I also ordered the lasecuts :)
    So lets get rolling!!
  5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Vote me in too!

My uncle was an instructor on these puppies during the last big punch-up....
  6. cjd

cjd Member

Always loved this plane. Looking forward to this.

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I too will be watching.............. but......... on your wish list.... why don't you scan the book before starting, you can modify the parts you want to use to make the different versions and re-color them and the whole model in the case of the USAAF Rece version............. then you would have all the versions you wanted.

Also.............. to pose a question. I think it has come up before but I'm having a senior moment.:cry:

IF you create modifications to a printed model can you post them for others to use? If you left them in "white" for others to color. I know you could NOT post the entire model, but just your modifications.

8. David H

David H Member

Laser cuts...

Hi all, nice to see you.

Laser cuts, they do laser cuts. Ah well I can use the practice cutting out formers.

The motto is little steps. this is my first big build!

So I thought just to mix things up a bit I would say to hell with convention and start with the starboard nacelle and While I think about how to do I will do a bit of edge colouring tonight and just ease in to the Orlik way.

I have not observed any printed strips to join the complete cylinders, there are strips to join cylinder to cylinder. I am thinking masking tape?

The wheel Bays are a puzzle too. But I can feel if not describe how they go together!

Attached Files:

9. josve

josve Active Member

Yes, DrafModel do lasercuts for a lot of Orlik models.

It will be very nice to follow your way to the finishing line!
  10. David H

David H Member

Starboard Engine

Orlik side of the deal is excellent. The parts fit like a dream, just my clunky building skills let it down.

I was a bit too hasty at the aft there. Might try again.Burnishing too hard, glue too strong lots of things to varyand observr the results.

Meanwhile I am getting on with the exhaust shrouds and air intake duct.

I will see if I have learnt anything when I start the port side and will be watching a certain HE 111 to see how it is done...

Attached Files:

11. David H

David H Member

Slow progress over the week.

Both engines are close to being finished with exhaust shrouds and ducts fabricated and I have started on the structure for the fuselage.

Two spinner patterns are included, these grey ones and some in RAF sky colour. I think sky is the way to go for the finished ship but the present examples are ideal for practice.

The centre section requires very precise cutting and positioning and I am a wee bit worried the card I have used is a bit too thick. My trusty old engineers callipers say the stuff I used is close to 1.3mm. We shall see how much sanding is required...? I have added lots of little triangular supports to the structure to help keep it square.

I have not met of any problems with Orlick kit but feel I am at or just beyond my abilities. A good place to be I think. I like a challenge.

I will be using a lot more spray varnish on the next sections, as my fingers seem to be very dirty and keen to transfer filth to the model. (Maintaining the log burner seems to be the origin of the dirt!).

Attached Files:

12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Not to bad for your fist build. Trust me we have all been there. You are not showing any thing that we have not experienced. :twisted:
  13. David H

David H Member

Hi Carl,

This time zone thing is real hard to keep up with... Just got back from the Sunday morning visit to the pool with my daughter.

Sorry to hear there are issues in the armament department. That's why I bought this baby.

Problems are very very minor but two of the segments in the engine nacelles are a bit out (78 and 79). 79 is 3 - 5mm too long. This is very minor in the grand scheme but may have thrown me give the fantaastic fit of the rest

I hope I can get the main framework built today and test the fit with the cockpit floor and bomb bay ceiling.

14. David H

David H Member

The Office...

well that went remarkably well, 1.3mm thick formers or not, I need only sand off a few 1/100ths of a mm to make the skins fit "perfick".

I couldn't resit the urge to begin some of the fine detail...

I just dry fitted the navigators little alcove and the black switchery mounts to the white area. I have yet to edge colour.

The fit was very good.

I do not have a set of "micro punches" but will look around for some so I can punch little holes to add that 3d look to the instruments.

A slow slow week at work ahead... but some small parts can be built and fitted.

Attached Files:

15. David H

David H Member

Wee Bits

Got a couple more evenings of these little bits to do and colour too.

Attached Files:

16. josve

josve Active Member

Looks really good David!!
  17. David H

David H Member

Hi Josve,

Thanks, I think there will have to be a Beaufighter to keep the mossie company.

I thnk that I have all the little cockpit parts done or about to be finished. Required lots of accurate cutting and folding and there were loads of little tabs to make and fit. I enjoyed it lots!

Makes one think seeing, even at this level, just how much electronic equipment was stuffed into a mid 40s bomber!

So on to the edge painting and assembly.

Attached Files:

18. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Nice!, very fiddly little bits.
  19. David H

David H Member

Pilot office...

Hi all,

A few hours piece and quiet and it all starts to make sense.

The pilot's seat was fun to make, not so sure about the radios etc.

I will put the loose bits away in a safe place until the skins I am ready to skin the mid section.

Attached Files:

20. josve

josve Active Member

A lot of lovely details i that build David!
    Great work!!