The On30 conspiracy

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The areas behind the retaining walls, at each end of the bridge, were filled in with styrene foam, carved to shape with a hot wire, from Woodland Scenics. The most recent addition is the ground cover. This is done by painting the dry plaster with a brown latex paint, and adding a mixture of dirt, saw dust, and various colors of Woodland Scenics turf, while the paint is still wet.

Attachments

• ground1a.jpg
    ground1a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 476

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
This last picture is the left hand side. The next thing that has to be done, is to form the river bed, and add ballast to the track. I'll post pics when I get this done.

Attachments

• ground1b.jpg
    ground1b.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 408
C

Catt

Pete,the diorama looks great.I've putting all my spare time into the NTRAK modules so the On30 is on a siding for a while.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The ballast is in, and the first stage of river bottom is done. At this point I have to go and study the photos I have taken of various rivers, and streams to determine what direction to go.
I've also started a thread in "scratchin and bashin" to document the building of an O scale tree.

Attachments

• rivbot&ballast.jpg
    rivbot&ballast.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 454

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Been Busy...

Hi,

Yes, I've been very busy with the On30modules yahoo group. Now OCMODS.

I think my last post on The Guage was back in September.

There's close to 100 members on OCMODS and we were running close to 25 messages per day...

Most from me. :D

Out of 100 people, you might find one or two in your neck of the woods.

Come on over and take a look.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Tyson,
It is the "new stuff from WS". I will wait and see how this pour finishes, and then decide if another is required. I may paint in some "water plants", and add a final layer.
The "water" needs 24 hours to cure, according to the directions.
It doesn't set up hard, so it is not easy to be sure when to pour another layer. On this second one, I used a small brush, and water, to blend the edges into the banks.(it is water soluable) I will have to check out these areas before going further. I also tipped the diorama to get the "water" to flow into all the areas more quickly.
When all the "water" is done, I'll experiment with the "water effects"product, to create water flow around rocks,and other obstructions.
When I first saw the products, WS people indicated that 1/8" was the maximum depth. The directions indicate 1/8" at a time, with no indicated maximum.
I think I might add fish before the last pour...it is O scale.:) :)
Pete

C

Catt

Pete n'Steve, you guys are making me jealous.Also chompin' at the bit to do some serious On30 modeling.:D :D Onliest thing is I made a promise to me to get the N scale layout up and running first.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Had a chance to work on the 2-8-2, so here's some progress photos. The first is the left hand side. I've built and installed the air pump, and bracket, added the air lines, including the "cooling coil", and the pump governor.

Attachments

• 2-8-2left.jpg
    2-8-2left.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 276

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The right hand side shows the air tank, and the water line from the engineer's injector to the top mounted check valve. The pipe just behind the stack, is the steam exhaust from the air pump.

Attachments

• 2-8-2right.jpg
    2-8-2right.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 374

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
This is my reasonable facsimile of a Sellers duplex top check valve. I didn't have specific dimensions, so this is only a SWAG, based on other photos of check valves.

Attachments

• topchkvlv.jpg
    topchkvlv.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 297