The On30 conspiracy

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I thought I'd open this thread for the "O scale narrow-minded", like me, who are, or aren't, "assimilated". :D :D :D

I currently have several projects going: The On30 2-8-2; Stretching the Bachmann On30 caboose from 20' to 28';and a 16" X 4' On30 diorama. There's also the intention to build an On30 2-6-6-2, and the 2' X12' On30 lumber switchback.

I have chosen, for my own reasons, to raise the couplers from the "bachmann" height, a scale 1'- 3", to the height of three foot gauge couplers. 2'- 3"( the dummy coupler on the front of the Bachmann 2-6-0 is at that height). I have also chosen a 6" X 9" X 6' tie, spaced 15" to 18" apart, and code 100 rail. I'm going to use the scale dimensions of the HOn3 NMRA standards gauge to make an On30 gauge to insure clearances,etc. I also intend using Kadee #5 couplers on all rolling stock.

At some point in time, the NMRA will probably establish standards for On30, and, at that time, I'll make adjustments to conform. In the meantime, I'll do up a pair of idler flats with dual couplers at one end, for compatability.
After all is said and done, there is really only two "standards" that can't vary: the gauge; and the minimum clearances. The rest is up to individual choice.
Offerred for your consideration, discussion encouraged. :)
Pete

C

Catt

Tyson,code 100 is code 100 no matter what scale its the same height.The difference is the scale .HO scale code 100 is 8 3/4" tall but that same rail in O scale is 4 3/4" tall.(if there were a code 100 N scale track it would be 16" tall. :eek: )

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Pictures, we don't need no stinking pictures:D :D :D

Only one picture, it was posted on Catt's "engine house" thread.
I'm waiting for Athearn to send a new drive gear for the Genesis 2-8-2 chassis, before any more work on the On30 2-8-2. I'll post the caboose when the construction is done, or maybe a shot in primer.
There's a trestle on the diorama, so maybe I'll be far enough along for the "locos on bridges" contest.
Pete

C

Catt

Been thinking of altering my passenger cars (Bachmann Jackson&Sharp's) to look more like the SR&RL cars.I only have to stretch them 10'.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
2-6-6-2 kitbash

Take a look at Glenn's "Elk Creak & Western" Webpage for a nice 2-6-6-2 kitbash that he did just this past spring.
Glenn's "Elk Creek & Western"

IMGP0001sm.jpg

I've been drawn in to making an On30 Module and there are at least NMRA standards for that. If you are interested in expanding your diarama into a module, you may want to look here:

NMRA Standards and Recommended Practices for Modules.

C

Catt

There are no set Module standards as such for On30 because there is no such modular organization like NTRAK for On30 yet. Each modular group has their own standards so far.On30 IMHO needs a set of modular standards.