The old N-scale layout

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
These are photos of the layout my son and I built about 7 years ago. It's a little rough and in need of some work. Once I figure out how to deal with the sagging problem, we plan to do track work and redo the scenery.
Moving it to Arizona took it's toll on it.

Attachments

• n layout1.jpg
    n layout1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 467

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah Ray, a few hours of effort will certainly be worth it. Maybe a renewed interest in N scale, eh????? How big is that?

Glad to see the Dewey Express was able to make it up Yarnell Hill..:D :D The "express" part is usually on the way down.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thank you Tyson, And yes, Don, I think I got bit by that N-scale bug While I was visiting the CSRR. Thats ok though, Jumping between scales keeps model railroading fresh for me. (and keeps me busy)
Isn't that area around Yarnell a heck of a place to build a railroad. And that was the easiest route!
This layout is 2 1/2' x 5' . It's the only one we brought with us to Az. I sold one HO layout and dismantalled an Ho and 027 layout.

Gordon M. Craig

Jul 31, 2003
Victoria BC Canada
Visit site
Ray:

You mention sagging-- I built a layout on a hollow-core door, and before I had run it very long, the cars came rolling out of the yard onto the main. Sure enough, the thing was sagging. So I'm using styrofoam on wood frame now for my construction, and Kato Unitrack for roadbed.

You've done a great piece of work! If you work out the sagging problem please post your solution!!

Gordon

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
An Auto-Train?...man, you ARE old aren't you?:eek: :p :D Break out the scenic stuff, that layout's a keeper. Took me back to my N-scale daze with those pics.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Thanks Gordon.
Your plan sounds like a good one. I've never used the unitrack but heard nothink but good things about it.
I used 2" foam and a wood grid benchwork on my new HO layout , it is working out great.
this old N scale layout is mostly wood and when we moved from a damp climate to a dry climate it dried out and bowed so bad the track was buckling. I was thinking of turning it on it's side and wetting it down then clamping it to a srtonger benchwork untill it dries, then spraying the bottom with expandable foam to give it added support.
Not sure when I'll get to that , seems I've got a lot of irons in the fire right now.

That Auto train is a real blast from the past , isn't it Shaygetz.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
From this photo you can see why I urge people to start with a good sturdy benchwork. This was built with left over 3/8" plywood from a doghouse project. There just isn't enough support lengthwise, I didn't notice the problem before because it was supported by the table it was sitting on.

Attachments

• nlayoutbottom.jpg
    nlayoutbottom.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 264

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I wonder if a pair of the old L-girder rails from the Linn Westcott days of modeling would straighten it out...maybe 1x6 capped with 1x4 about 6" in lengthwise?