The NM gets a engine house!

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
There are no single stall engine houses in n-scale that I know of that aren't too Euro, too Denver & Rio Grande or too new. So I bit the bullet and this is my 2nd attempt at scratch building (the first was the tobacco barn). Nothing tricky here ( I'm not smart enough for that :D :rolleyes: :D ). Made the 4 walls from sheet styrene then overlaid them with stripwood and cut the holes for the windows and doors in the stripwood only. The exposed plastic was painted flat black. The addition on the side is part of a Campell kit (don't remember what), windows are Grant Line, doors from scrap box as was chimney. Roof is poster board with computer paper sprayed flat black and cut into strips for tar paper. Evergreen angle for corner molding on building, bass wood for floor and steps. This building would have been built in the late 40's by the Southern so white walls and green windows and doors were the only way to go. As you can see maintinance has been deferred for sometime :eek: :p :D . At first I was really afraid to try scratch building and while I still have a ways to go I have to admit it is alot of fun.

Attachments

• view1.jpg
    view1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 219

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That's sweet! Now you'll have to toss all your kit buildings and scratch everything, so all the buildings will look that nice :D :D :D

Only one suggestion; how about a kid inside with a model railroad on the floor? You know, a fake model rail roader, no wait, that's another thread. redrum redrum ahhhhhhhhh!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Excellent Work!

thumbs.gif
Two BIG thumbs up on this job!
thumbs.gif

If this is your FIRST scratchbuilding attempt, you have a bright scratchbuilding future. Can't wait to see more.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Excellent work Tyson my friend!
Certainly nothin' "Euro" about clapboard & tar paper!
But just in case, maybe I'll send you a few "dawgs" to sleep out by the back door! :D:p :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Thanks folks for all the kind words. Casey I think I know what you mean by getting bit by the bug. :D Charlie a man can never have enough dawgs! :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes: :D Luis send me a white e-mail and later tonight I will sketch out the plans with the measurments and scan em' so I can e-mail it back to you. Pete give me a few days will you???? :eek: :D jon I WANT some of your meds! :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Mike there is nothing wrong with track of course, can't run trains without it. However IT IS SO MUCH more fun to run em' thru nicely sceniced areas!!!! To me the scenery is more important then the track cause a train running around on a bare base doesn't really interest me. Although I do know some who are quite happy without scenery and that's O.K. for them, just not for me. :) I would suggest if you are interested in doing scenery to allow twice as much room as you think you need for it. For example this engine house only has a footprint of about 6" x 2", but I'll need a space about 10" x 5" to make it look right when it is installed on the layout.