The N scale Climax concept LIVES!!!!

Delamaize

hello all, I am a very excited individual right now, for I have a working climax prototype in N scale, it is too big, but still N scale, and runs rough, but none the less, My Idea WORDED!!! I gotta give David Bedard credit, he spent lots of time and effort helping me work out kinks and problems with the design.
here are some pictures! with and without "shell" sorry about the crummy quality, I'll get better pics when my wife gets back with the better camrea.

Only One last thing to say: "W00T!"

Attachments

• 0054.JPG
    0054.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 309
  • 0057.JPG
    0057.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 310

Delamaize

Well it is a bastard mess of a Life-like F40PHI frame and trucks (chopped down trucks) and motor, the cab, pistons and half a tender from a old Minitrix 0-6-0 switcher shell. and some other various parts from my parts box and some brass.

Delamaize

Climax Update

here is the newest picture, headlight and smoke jack added, still running rough. not mutch better of a picture though.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 328

Delamaize

N scale Climax V 3.0 almost running

OK so the climax has now gone into it's 3rd version, and I think I got it right this time, the mechnisim is fairly smooth, and made of brass, so it is strong, (except one spot where I got to re-enforce) it is only front trock drive, but it should work once I get it wired up. alot of scrach building here, and a steep learning curve on soldering brass, mainly: Electric souldering irons do not work well, I used a combination of a lighter to "pre heat" the brass then, wile still on the flame, did my soldering, I havn't decided weather to scrach build the pistons and rods, or use some scavenged from other locos. anyways, I am excited, and I have some pics, as soon as I get it moving under it's own power I will post videos.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

MilesWestern

Wow! That's quire amazing! I like your Enginuity with the double worm gears powering bothe the truck and the piston! :thumb:

Delamaize

well the mechisim is fun to watch on the bench power, but I still have yet to get it to move under it's own power. I think I might have to start on V 4.0 soon, this, like the previous versions, is cursed with bad drive trucks. i need to break down and buy a few Kato Shorty B critter chassis and just start chopping!! I did learn enought about brass soldering to be able to make a new "shell" once I get a good drive mechnisim.

EDIT: forgot to add the new pics, not much diffrence, added the pistons.
IMG_0895.jpg

Delamaize

Climax V 5.0

Ok so after talking with Randgust (Over at Trainboard.com) About his climax's projects, I decided to try Version 5 of my Class B project. Well I finally got a successfull model, it is still a little light, and it REALLY sencitive to dirty track, so what do you need to pull with a climax? Logging Bunks, and a homebuilt caboose! so here is my project, it is closer to paint now, it still needs a lot of detail. so here are my pics! (Sorry about the Fuzzyness)

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg