The M.A.T. goes mushroom

C

Catt

Being a tri-scaler myself I would like to challenge my two Canadian friends to do a scale switch and build a diorama in each others scale.

Of course I would expect a ton of pics and a write up for the Gauge and NARA. :D

wendell

Jun 7, 2002
farmington NH
Visit site
Robin I knowyou have been working on this for a year or so. Are you doing all this by yourself and I assume you are. Do you work 24hours a day 7 days a week (That is the only way I could do this much in a year) and still not be as far along as you Are

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Catt, I haven't talked to Val yet about each of us doing something in each others gauge. Will have to get back to you on that.
Wendell I am doing this layout on my own and try to do a bit each day. The further on it gets, the more it seems to slow down.
I have put a coat of paint on the mill and now have to install it in place. Next I have to start laying track.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 94

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
A day of decision has come. The wife and I have decided that we need to downsize our home in about a years time so I will have to start dismantling the MAT once again. I figure it will take me more than a year to do it saving as much of the materials as I can. The big unknown will be how much space I will have in our new home.:cry: :cry: :cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Wow Robin, that's going to be tramatic. We moved early last year, but moving my layout was not a prime concern. At the time it was simply a door mounted on a cabinet with wheels. Yours is going to be a real project and I don't envy you one bit.:rolleyes:

Just something to think about, but we "downsized" about five years ago since the kids were long gone and we thought we could do with a lot less room. Well, it didn't work, we were found ourselves adding on to a brand new house since we needed our own space, but even then, the floorplan didn't lend itself to giving us that. So we "upsized", and now have our own space and our marriage is blissful once again. Just so you know, there are no basements here, so the only way to keep our sanity and marriage intact was either to get a bigger house or have a gigantic air-conditioned garage...:) We opted for the bigger house and a more compatable floorplan...:thumb::thumb:

Good luck with whatever you decide.:wave::wave:

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
We have looked at a number of retirement communities from Brampton to Tilsonburg. Our current interest is a new development in Woodstock. 3 models of homes and all have basements. They are two bedrooms. The master has a bathroom ensuite. Some have lofts as an option.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Robin,

My mother-in-law is looking to "right-size" and has found some interesting homes billed as "bungalow townhomes" which have 1-2 bedrooms, bath, laundry, kitchen all on the main floor. Some have a finished guest room with ensuite in the basement, and others have unfinished basements. You should be able to find what you are looking for...

We have friends in Woodstock who live by the old Grand Trunk (?) station which is still in use. Nice little town.

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matthyro said:
We have looked at a number of retirement communities from Brampton to Tilsonburg. Our current interest is a new development in Woodstock. 3 models of homes and all have basements. They are two bedrooms. The master has a bathroom ensuite. Some have lofts as an option.
That's good, we just found that since retirement, spending all our time together wasn't the best. We support each other 100% in what the other wants to do; we worked together for 25 years, and we just needed our own spaces to do it. I'd love a basement or a loft but they are rare commodities here in Arizona. But I now have two adjoining rooms on one side of the house that I can hide in. One for my office, the other for my trains.:thumb: My wife has here hideaway as well.

We looked at some retirement communities before buying what we did. Nice houses, great neighborhoods. Lousy CC & R's and HOA rules. We opted to live in an area that had some restrictions, but in some of those "retirement" areas, we would have no freedoms outside our house and it told us what we could plant and where, and when and how long we could have our garage door open.:rolleyes: Around here, retirement communities favor golfers big time, and those that do modeling as a hobby pay for that. Most have large recreation centers for swimming, tennis, painting, pot making and other stuff that we were not interested in either. We really liked the houses and neighborhoods though.

Sounds like you'll have the room to reassemble your MAT. I'm just saying to be sure to read the CC & R's and HOA rules carefully if there are any. Good luck....:wave::wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matthyro said:
It is Sally Creek Chad but it will take some time for that place to develop so I am not in a hurry.
OK, I can see why you have so long to take down your layout. I still don't envy you, but I'm sure you'll be pleased when it's all said and done, we were.

Out of curiosity, what kind of area is Sally Creek? Lots of woods, water or what? Around here, everything that's being built on is either former farmland or desert. Any trees around here are those that get planted after the house is built, and any water is a result of the developer putting in a small pond or a golf water hazard. :rolleyes: It's hard to visulize what it's like where other people live, or how they build houses there.

When you get to that point, it would be interesting to see some pictures.:wave: