The M.A.T. goes mushroom

Will_annand

In each case I just need a dummy line to go across a 24" section.

It is a simple crossing, Mainline CVR bisected by NArrow gauge "non-powered" rail.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Tyson, remember it was from the posts in narrow gauge and logging that it was folks like you that inspired me to do my logging area in Nn3 instead of the usual N gauge I was going to use.
Along with track laying I started on the 65 foot turntable. The first photo shows the rough cut through the pink foam.

Attachments

• tt1.jpg
    tt1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 158

Matthyro

Next I started cutting the pit wall out of 1/2 inch board using my circle cutter on the drill press.

Attachments

• tt2.jpg
    tt2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 158

Matthyro

Here the sub floor of the pit is fitted.
This is as far as I have got today.

Attachments

• tt4.jpg
    tt4.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 156

belg

Robin this is something that interest me very much are you building it from a set of plan or a website link?? Or is it something you are designing? Thanks Pat

Matthyro

Pat, I am using this photo as a guide. No other plans. Just cut and fit.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 248

belg

Robin I thank you for the response and can only hope that you post "alot" of progress pics as I cant see how to make one out of that picture. Pat

Matthyro

balanced-beam

The turntable is one of those balanced-beam types that were used in the late 1800s. I thought it would be appropriate for Nn3 logging.
Materials used:
A srtip of masonite for the base,
Cerealboard.
Corrugated cardboard 1/16th thick from an M&Ms box.
A sheet of copy paper.
Button thread
White glue
5 min epoxy.
A section of Z gauge track.
The epoxy is used to hold the bolt top to the masonite.
Here it is ready for painting.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 233

Matthyro

Got the pit floor in place today. It slopes down from the perimeter to the centre. I cut it out of cerealboard with a slightly greater circumfrence than the pit wall. Then I cut out the circle to fit the centre support.

Attachments

• pf.jpg
    pf.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 199

Will_annand

3phase, the answer is YES!

Actually I have visited the MAT, it is an amazing N Scale layout.
Robin has done an amazing job with it.

Matthyro

3phase, as Will says my layout is N scale but the logging area is narrow gauge so we N gaugers use z scale track for natrrow gauge and it is known as Nn3

Matthyro

When I put the two pieces together I noticed we had to call the riggers in to tighen up the turnbuckels.

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 133

spitfire

Great work Robin!!!! I think Kellogg's owes you a trip around the world - or at the very least a lifetime supply of cereal for all the creative uses you've put their packaging to!!!

Val