The M.A.T. goes mushroom

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Matthyro, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

That is a long run Robin. I still think the MAT looks great.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Oh, to be living in S. Ontario again... I never thought I would be pinin' for the 'Golden Horseshoe"... ;)

Well, we can all look forward to the BBQ...

3. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Imagine if they were the old 89' passengers or intermodal flats.
    That!... would be long.

Looking great, Dude!
    :thumb: :thumb:
  4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I am now in the process of laying cork roadbed in the BIG BEND area. This is halfway between levels

Attached Files:

• m38.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
  5. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Geeee Robin, that is EXTENSIVE!!!!!
    Beautifully thought out AND built. I've seen the theory of the multilevel bases but that is most admirable. You still got all your fingers? :D

If you dim incandescent lamps too much they give off infra red, photography colour correction might become a problem and the LPB's are likely to get heatstroke! (not that they do much other than languish in comfort :D )

Altogether a mighty bit of stuctural engineering my friend. Very well done.

6. Matthyro

Track Plan

Thanks Errol. I haven't progressed much but many of you have asked for my track plan.
    I drew it up on paper so don't know how well you can see it. Maybe I will try one of those cad programs next. In any case the room limits are outlined in red. The squares are 12"
    I show the lower level at the top and the upper level at the bottom

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      File size:
      44 KB
  7. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

All I can say is INCREDIBLE!
  8. Matthyro

The logging area is begining to take shape. The roadbed is in place now tracklaying can begin. Most of the track here will be Nn3 narrow gauge. I am using z scale track for this.
    This first photo shows the community of Tsawwati

Attached Files:

9. Matthyro

The next photo shows the community of Hanatsa. The logging company that will operate here is known as the Tangle Creek Logging Co.

Attached Files:

10. 3phase

3phase Member

That is a kick ass layout, i wish i had the room for that.
  11. siderod

siderod Member

Hey Matthyro,

Lookin GREAT! Keep it up!
  12. Matthyro

Thanks folks, am struggling to get the dual gauge section done and will post more as I go.
  13. sschaer

sschaer Member

just found this thread and read all the pages. amazing work ! keep the pics coming. this sure gives me some ideas for my (hopefully) soon to come larger layout.
  14. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Great Robin!!!! Looking forward to seeing the logging area develop!! Are those names based on real places or are they your own creation?

15. Matthyro

Val, the names are real and are located in the Cascade range of mountains in BC where some logging goes on.
  16. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

Awsome job Robin :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Rich
  17. Matthyro

Dual gauge

Well here it is. Narrow gauge meets standard gauge. I have just realized I missed adding a section of guard rail so will have to do that.
    The narrow gauge track is Peco Z scale.

Attached Files:

• dual.JPG
      File size:
      45.4 KB
  18. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Very interesting, I was debating on doing this at two crossings on the CVR. Both the H&NW and TG&B were narrow gauge, while the CVR was a standard gauge RR.

I wonder how hard it would be to hand lay a dual gauge crossover?
  19. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Will: A crossover or a crossing? Narrow crosses standard or both cross both?
    or three rails all the way through a scissors crossover? :thumb: :eek:
    Easiest to make the narrow gauge all dummy and just bring it up to the standard and lay dummy narrow gauge diamond -- don't even cut the standard.
  20. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Robin you always inspire me! The narrow gauge to standard gauge trackage looks great!