The M.A.T. goes mushroom

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thanks for the kind words and support folks.
OK Steve nobody here is biting so why did the mushroom wear a lampshade at the party?
The loop around canyon track passes over what will be a staging yard and crosses over the aisle 64 inches above the floor. Now I have walked into it a couple of times already and have scars on my head to show it so thought I needed some of those telltails railroads used to use near tunnels.
Here is my version.

Attachments

• m27.jpg
    m27.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 468

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
Robin,
I'm astounded by your progress! Your Potash plant really caught my eye, I would like to build a similar plant, which is located in Moab, Utah. Did you work from a plan? What did you use for the head frame cover, ( I think that's what it's called, the dome structure). I presume this is one of your fabulous cardboard buildings? I would like to know what materials and techniques you used as I will no doubt have to scratch build the plant I want to model. I am simply amazed at the amount of detail you are able to acheve using cardboard. Your layout continues to be one of my favorites.

2slim

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Welcome to posting here at the Gauge 2slim as it says this is your first post. I just made up mine from pictures.
What is your e-mail address as I can send some pictures of potash mines. The first step in making the domes was to cut a circle out of corrugated cardboard for the base. I then drew 8 lines through the centre dividing the circle into 8 segments. Next was 8 cardboard vertical segements that go from the edge of the circle to the centre. The centre of these pieces are the height of the dome. From there I cut an arc down to the edge of the circle. Next was 8 sections of cardboard cut to fit the arc. Thsi took a bit of fitting to get it right.

Hi Robin

I'm enjoying watching the consrtuction of your layout. Its very inspirational. I was surprised to read that you model your buildings on photos. I'm sure htis is common practise for many model railroad builders, but what I can't understand is how do you get the correct deminsions for your buildings?? This is something that has put me off from modelling my own buildings, because I don't know how large things should be or the deminsions. What do you do in this situation??

Also what is an e-pass? I've never had one or seen one anywhere, until I visited your website. However I would love to have my very first e-pass.

Oh yeah I think all your building are fantastic. I partically like the cattle ranch (it is cattle??)

Cheers

Jason Lennie

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Jason, I will send you an e-pass but will need your e-mail address to do so which you can e-mail to me here
matthyro@aztec-net.com
For years I used to only build kits. That was OK until I wanted a particular building but there was no kit available. That's when I got involved in scratch building. I got basic dimensions from the kits as to building heights, depths and widths. I aslo got a scale ruler from my local hobby shop. It is N scale in my case. Now when I look at a photo of a building, I must admit that I use guess work a lot. That's OK if the building turns out close to what I expect

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
A pedlar slow freight makes its way around the upper level of the M.A.T It is headed by two GP40-2s one in M.A.T. colours and the other in the very well known GVR blue and yellow
First phot shows the pedlar crossing the Allison Gap bridge

Attachments

• m32.jpg
    m32.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 335

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Next stop is Cardwell where there is a very hectic amount of switching to serve Edwards Machine Shop, Burchell Industries, Fifer Mills and The Cater Casket Company

Attachments

• m36.jpg
    m36.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 324

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Finally it reaches Drummond where it switches Annand Industries and the PCS potash mine the heads home for a well deserved rest.

Attachments

• m35.jpg
    m35.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 327

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Thanks Mike.
Bill, you didn't miss anything as I just decided to place a new industry at Drummond and am calling it Annand Industries as a memento of your visit. I will post photos of it being constructed.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
A 42 car train

I strung all the cars that have MT couplers together and they add up to 42 cars. I still have ten cars to change. 42 is a long train even in N gauge. Locos have to start slowly and take up the strain just like in the real thing. This phot will give you some idea of te length. The locos are at the far end and I still use a caboose at the end.

Attachments

• m37.jpg
    m37.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 487