The M.A.T. goes mushroom

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
As talked about in Shamus's what are we going to do in the new year thread, here is my progress into the mushroom world.
In theory, a normal layout is about 52% efficient compared to the space available. The mushroom idea proposed by John Armstrong will provide about 85% efficiency.
Here is a rough sketch showing a cross section of a mushroom that will fit under the height of my basement beams.

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,219

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
First step was to build the raised floor. It is 15inches high, 3 feet wide and 19 feet long. It is constructed out of 2X4s and 2X6s

Attachments

• m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,190

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Totally cool.:cool: :cool:

Now that I see what you are doing I realize that I have seen several articles in either MRR or RMC that deal with this kind of construction and layout.

Thanks for taking the time to educate this novice:thumb: :thumb:

Bob

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Robin,
Like Bob, I've seen articles about mushroom design. They sure seem to pack a lot of railroading in the space available! You will be the first person I've been able to talk to about this approach. Looking forward to more...say, what's happened to your current layout?
Best wishes on this ambitious project!
Ralph

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Brilliant! You can get a long run out of this... is this an extension to your layout or a new one? Do you have a trackplan?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
What is the width of the platforms you are going to put the layout on and how do you plan on getting from one level to the other?

This is very interesting.:thumb: :thumb:

Don

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Ralph, the 2003 layout is no more. Needed the space for this 2004 one.
Don, I plan to have a long canyon where one line climbs up the 18inches to the upper level. I am trying to keep the grade to 2% so need a run of 75 feet to do it. No helix for me.
The platform widths vary from 12inches to 18inches.
Alex, I don't have a drawn up track plan but plan to draw it right on the layout so I can make sure everything fits.
Tyson, no guesses as yet as to miles of track.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Robin:
You sure do exhibit a lot of energy and enthusiasm for model railroading! Some of it has even rubbed off on me, in terms of inspiration to get started on my own layout. The mushroom design seems like a great way to maximize your space and keep a linear track plan. The photos you posted do a much better job at conveying the "mushroom" concept than any of the articles I've read on the topic. Thanks for sharing your progress. You are a busy man!

Eric

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Way to go!

Wow Robin, you continue to astound me with how much you get done. It seems you no sooner say it, then it's halfway done. Looks like this is going to be one awesome layout!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
As of January24th 2004

Thanks Val.
Got quite a bit done so far on the mushroom section. Used up a box of 500 screws this week
Here is a view looking east.

Attachments

• m10.jpg
    m10.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 467

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
WOW Robin, and you said I work fast! That's a really cool idea. I can't wait to see all of your scratchbuilt buildings on there! Keep the pictures coming!

Mike.

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Progress as of the 7th. February

The backdrops are all installed and painted. Here is a view of the upper inside of the mushroom looking east.

Attachments

• m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 416