The last CP train from Goderich !

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I captured 3032 backing into the side track just west of the Seaton trestle Bridge in Pickering.
I was taking grandson William and Lab Barron for a winter walk when we heard the train slowly backing up.

On sending the picture to Bill, who runs the C P roster web page for consideration (POSTING)
He was thrilled to see her again as he chased 3032 from Goderich on that last day of operation.

Here we see 3032 freshly painted working the MOW

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 120

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
joesho said:
they are closing the line down??
thats a shame :( thats one nice locomotive

It closed in 1988.
Here is a bit of history Jeosho.

Harbour Quay 1 Ship St. “Canadian Pacific Railway Station” Designated 2005
Reason for Designation: The Goderich CP railway station, referenced in the Heritage Railway Stations Inventory in 1987, remains locally significant and is designated for architectural and contextual reasons. The station is built of red brick with limestone foundation. It has a hipped roof over the central portion with a cross-gable and lunette trackside. Restored slate tiles top the cupola of the round waiting room. The sloped roof over the platform and the Armstrong turntable to the west of the building, have been removed.
Original interior features include a true ceiling with three large medallions, wooden screens, interior doors, fixtures, trim and decorative plaster. The stationhouse is located on land bought from the Canada Company in 1837 by Jacob Cummer and John Wilson. Opened for service in 1907, the last CPR train stopped on the bridge on August 3, 1988 and blew its whistle for a final time. Since then local community groups have maintained use of the building.

Attachments

• 39-HarbourQuay-CPR.jpeg
    39-HarbourQuay-CPR.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 104

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
wow thats one handsome building. i wish we had more rail history over here,only rail history we have is bce, or british columbia ellectric (interubans) :D

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
joesho said:
wow thats one handsome building. i wish we had more rail history over here,only rail history we have is bce, or british columbia ellectric (interubans) :D

I was out your way in 05 visiting an old friend, I was looking for traces of the B C Electrics.
All I found was the tourist track and that was closed:cry:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
joesho:
The CPR line to Goderich was closed in 1988. The former CNR line is still running as the Goderich and Exeter Railway. (Stratford to Goderich, Branch to Exeter and line from Georgetown to London via Stratford).

joesho

Apr 29, 2006
surrey bc canada
oh i see,interurban they have an interurban society now they have restored 2 interurbans that you can ride to granville and they are working on restoring more. also my grandma lives in richmond and there are still a lot of traces of the interurbans in richmond the old line/(you can see were the track WAS).thanks 60103 :D

Those are some pictures Chris. I like winter railroad pictures but hate winter!sign1 My Great Grand Mother's maiden name was Seaton. I wonder if that is named after a family member. The Seaton's where one of the first families to settle in North America from England. The Seaton's also have a rich history working on the railroads.

Andy:wave: