The Lady Dane lives...

shaygetz

Some time back I received a box of Marklin tinplate destined for the dumpster. In short, it was a beautiful collection of late 40s early 50s equipment complete with oodles of track. The problem was how to get it running stateside as marklin is 220v and we're set up for 110v. Marklin 110 volt packs used still pull 65-80 bucks on Ebay. Then I found this little deal that, with shipping, set me back $18...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50588&item=3082321344

shaygetz

Easily having not seen the light of day for 35+ years, after cleaning the track, cars and locomotive, I placed them on the track and....:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ...she rocks. With a racket that only tinplaters could love and an ozone aroma that would bring Chris to tears, here she is tearing around the table top...

Attachments

• lady dane.jpg
    lady dane.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 223

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
No matter what it is its still a thrill to see one charging around the curve like this one is.:D :D :D

shaygetz

Thanks, Robin...ain't it a gas? I've been snuffin' up ozone and blazin' blue sparks like a junkie for the past 2 hours. I love Euro steam and Marklin's just too cool. My little girl just loves how you hafta "shift gears" to put her in a siding. Gonna be a while 'fore we eat dinner at the table in this house:D

interurban

Goodmorning Shaygetz,, I for one get very high on that type of ozone:D :D
I brightened up your pic , and just look at her now red spoke wheels and all.
A real deal!!!!!.

Attachments

• lady dane.jpg
    lady dane.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 203

jon-monon

And I GIMPed it! (I hope you like it and I hope you don't mind!)

What a great loco!

Attachments

• lady.jpg
    lady.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 187

shaygetz

Alright, alright already...my $49.96 Walmart special doesn't take Pulitzer prize winning pics. I gets me thru:p Here's a couple more for ya to play with;

Attachments

• dane 2.jpg
    dane 2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 173

interurban

May be if you put some artificial light over the table it should help, save you the price of a new camera.:D
I just brigtened it up with xnview supplied be the gauge.:p

Does the transforma 120 up to 220 work??

Attachments

• dane 2.jpg
    dane 2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 168

shaygetz

Originally posted by interurben
May be if you put some artificial light over the table it should help, save you the price of a new camera.:D
I just brigtened it up with xnview supplied be the gauge.:p

Does the transforma 120 up to 220 work??

"Im givin' 'er all she's got, Cap'n, she 'asn't got anymore to give.":cool: :cool: :cool:

As for the transformer, it's a resounding success. The transformers I got with the lot are so old that even the two Marklin dealer/collectors that I know didn't recognize them. They figured that they are pre-WWII. They both work great with no blown fuses yet. I figured that, because of the nature of the equipment, it would best be posted in T Q&A as Marklin has cranked out alot of stuff over the years. Me, I'm still bouncing off the walls snuffin' ozone and listening to squeeking and clanging tin fly around the kitchen table. I always figured I could get this train to run, I just never figured it would require so little effort or tinkering.

Pooh Bah
Shay, there, that's old Maerklin track. By the late 50s (probably earlier?), that I know of, they had gone to stud contact to replace the third rail. That's the system where there's a little bit of metal sticking up from the middle of each tie.
I was at a show on the weekend where someone was selling a Hornby transformer with 220V input.

jon-monon

Originally posted by shaygetz
Alright, alright already...my $49.96 Walmart special doesn't take Pulitzer prize winning pics. I gets me thru:p Here's a couple more for ya to play with;

:D:D:D I know how you feel, friend, until very recently, all my digital pics came out of a 640X480 no LCD camera the size and weight of a brick :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm glad I was patient, though, the longer you wait, the better you get for the money. Two years ago, there was nothing like what I got for under $1000 as far as I know, and that's waaaaaaay out of my range right now!

RailRon

Hey Shaygetz, you almost got my youth in your Marklin box. No, I didn't have a Märklin RR (we had no money for such a thing then), but a friend of mine had. And your pics look if this box could be from him!

The loco is a passenger train loco of the Deutsche Bundesbahn (German Federal Ry), Serie 01 - the fastest and most elegant steamers right after WW II. Among the passenger cars I noted the dark red MITROPA restaurant car and the dark green coaches used for long distance passenger trains. Because of the tight curve radius they were proportionally shortened about one third.

Yes, David is right with the track. I think it must have been around 1960 when Marklin offered the new 'stud' track with 'invisible' third center rail.

The tin-trackbed stuff you have was called 'M-track' (M for model) as opposed to the later K-track (K = Kunststoff = plastics) with simple ties and without the ballasted trackbed.

I remember that it always was great fun, when my friend had put up his Marklin RR on the floor of his room. We were about four boys who 'played with trains'. And it was a joke that we pushed the reverser button on the transformer (which gave a 25 V spike on the track to actuate the reverser relais) whenever somone had his hands on the track. The 25 Volts were enough for quite a nasty shock, especially when we had sweaty hands! :D

Just take care to that stuff, Shaygetz. I think it is quite valuable. And as you said - the quality of these models is outstanding!

Ron

shaygetz

Originally posted by RailRon
Hey Shaygetz, you almost got my youth in your Marklin box. No, I didn't have a Märklin RR (we had no money for such a thing then), but a friend of mine had. And your pics look if this box could be from him!
Been there all weekend. My uncle had two Lionel sets that ran around the Christmas tree...the ozone smell took me back many years and many happy miles...

The loco is a passenger train loco of the Deutsche Bundesbahn (German Federal Ry), Serie 01 - the fastest and most elegant steamers right after WW II. Among the passenger cars I noted the dark red MITROPA restaurant car and the dark green coaches used for long distance passenger trains. Because of the tight curve radius they were proportionally shortened about one third.
I got three of the green coaches in the lot. The red one has "Shlufwagon" on it's side...Is that a sleeper?

And it was a joke that we pushed the reverser button on the transformer (which gave a 25 V spike on the track to actuate the reverser relais) whenever somone had his hands on the track. The 25 Volts were enough for quite a nasty shock, especially when we had sweaty hands! :D
Not ornery enough to go there...yet.:eek:

RailRon

You're right, Shaygetz, 'Schlafwagen' means sleeper :sleeping:. Probably I mixed it up with the MITROPA restaurant car (which was also red, but also could have been blue). Oh well, this was almost 50 years ago, so now I allow some smaller glitches in my weary old brain! :D :D :D

MITROPA is a company which runs sleepers and restaurant cars since 1916. Now MITROPA belongs to the 'Deutsche Bundesbahn'. They were world famous for the luxury of their cars - no wonder Märklin made models of these cars. Way back in the 1950s it was simply a MUST to have at least one red or blue MITROPA car in a passenger train consist of a model railroad! :)

Ron

shaygetz

Originally posted by RailRon
Way back in the 1950s it was simply a MUST to have at least one red or blue MITROPA car in a passenger train consist of a model railroad! :)

Ron

Glad to hear that I'm running a prototypical consist...I'd hate to think I was running a German version of Amtrak in the 70s:p