The "Iron Annie" JU-52 is here!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Bob43, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Bob43

Bob43 Model Designer Extrodinaire Cornerstone Member

Junkers Ju 52 ("Tante Ju" - "Iron Annie") 1:72

I have chosen the non-military version decals, as the aircraft's military history (i.a. bombing of civilian Guernica, Crete, Holland) is not a very noble one (actually it's not the plane's fault). The plane can be seen today, taking sightseers over the Swiss Alps. Again from my site Free card model airplane sites.
  2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Aack! You've done it again! It's nice to have a free Ju-52 that's better than the old Iwata PPC version. Thanks Bob!

Scott K.
  3. Coot59

Coot59 Member

Thank You. Your speed and quality in design exceed my build ability.

Many thanks
  4. Bob43

Thanks both of you. I'm going to give it a break for a time - otherwise I'll have a divorce on my hands. Still, any ideas of something new - preferably not military, interesting prop model, and especially DEDICATED water bombers.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very cool! I will put some thought into ideas :)
  6. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Thank you very much Bob, your Junkers is fantastic.
  7. Bob43

Thank you all. You've made my day!
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Water bomber, huh? Does a borate bomber qualify? You have that nice C-119; how's about converting that to a borate bomber. I believe I lost my color shots of the converted C-119's sitting on the ramp at Fort Wainwright, Fairbanks, AK back in the middle 80's.

These were privately operated borate bombers that featured, of all things, a performance enhancing jet engine pod from a Lockheed PV-2 mounted inverted on the top of the fuselage.

I found images of the aircraft at: The color is international orange.

Google Image Result for
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Seems to me you mentioned doing a PBY sometime back. I know it's not a dedicated WB, but there's lots of paint schemes available. Another interesting one I found reference to would be a Twin Otter floatplane WB. I found a pic here;

Another good candidate I think would be the Russian Beriev Be-12. I know, another former warplane, but it does look good in firefighting trim.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

10. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Thank you for all your models I love the Mars Flying boat inparticular although they are of course all great. Hows about the IL76 that looks an impresive beastie or the Avro York although I dont know if she was ever used as a fire bomber.

Attached Files:

11. Bob43

Thanks all of you.
    Gixergs, perhaps an Il-76 some time.
    Scott, a PBY - yes when I have the courage to compete with Muncho's wonderful range of PBY's.
    A borate bomber - the first time I've heard of that name for a water bomber. From where does the name come from?
    Sorry, I'm already at work on a DC-6B water bombing adaptation, with the livery of the French 'Securité Civile' - Pelican No. 6 I think. Having trouble (as usual) with the nose/cockpit.
  12. Bob43

Thanks Lakedweller

It's the first time someone has posted a photo of HIS model, MY design.
    Gives me a great kick!
  13. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Borate Bomber

Borate is the name given to a class of fire retardant carried by specially modified tanker aircraft. If you saw the movie, "Always," (directed by Steven Spielberg with Richard Dreyfuss, Holly Hunter, Brad Johnson, and the inimetable John Goodman) the awful red stuff that the Goodman character gets dumped on him by the Johnson character is borate.

It is really red and it is really a mess to handle according to the air tanker guys I spoke with at Ft. Wainwright so many years ago.

So, that's my vote!
  14. zachy

zachy New Member

I just finished your Ju52. I had to resize it to 1:50th so I could work with the parts but it's very nice and I greatly enjoyed it. Thanks for the model and I'll be looking for the next one. Zach
  15. gregh

gregh Member

zachy - how did you resize to 1:50 ? & thanks