The HO Piermont Western Railway circa 1915

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Great models Blake! I particularly like the turnbuckles on those truss rods--I'm never really happy with mine on the few older cars I've done--and with those Fox trucks on the caboose. Who manufactured those?

My love is logging in northern Wisconsin in 1947. I am learning that it's the details that really turn a good model into an outstanding one. Two problems in modeling vintage scenes always seem to be good plans/photos of detail items and good sources of manufactured details. I am fortunate in that The Soo Line Historical & Technical Society ( www.sooline.org ) sells lots of great plans from their archives. I really hunt for good detail parts at shows and hobby shops. What sources are you using for your efforts? I am always looking for new sources!

Keep up the great work!
--Stu--

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Great work, Blake.

Now....can you autograph my January '05 RMC? Fame, fortune and a cover shot, all in one month. The stuff of legend.... :thumb: ;) :D

rebel

Jun 28, 2003
california
Visit site
little in 1915?

there are plenty of quality models from that era Silver Streak, Ambroid, old MDC with individual grabs{ came out in the 70s }, Central Valley, Binkley, Main Line, Northeastern, ect. ect., kind of what i collect

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Yes, the Fox trucks are MDC. Funaro & Camerlengo makes a nice Fox truck with the leaf spring in it. I have to see if they sell those separately. Grandt Line makes some killer turnbuckle as well as other neat stuff. So does Tichy. For reference I use some of the Train Shed's Cyclopedias. They have many photos and drawings in them. Shaygetz, I would gladly autograph a copy of the magazine for you. As soon as all of these RMC groupie women leave me alone! (yeah, right!!).

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Blake, thanks for the info on the Fox trucks and the turnbuckles--I diid not think MDC's plastic would weather that nicely! Yours look great. Central Valley's Fox trucks are going near $50.00/pr. on eBay these days--a bit steep.

Okay, question about the Grandt Line turnbuckles: Do you clip off the plastic outside the cast part and simply glue them in place? Or do you drill them for your rods or what? I feel a bit silly asking, but I never seem to have gotten them right. :eek:ops:

As to rolling stock for this era, I must contribute that I'm partial to Westerfield, Central Valley, and LaBelle. Just my two cents worth there. I've used some of these kits in the past and have upgraded the safety appliances, brakes, and trucks to be more representative of cars rebuilt during the late '30's. The few I've done this way came out well. I have parts stored away for several more.
--Stu--