The Hills of LaRue

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by MadCoW1, Jan 20, 2007.

1. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

There is a little town called LaRue that due to it's high amount of sandstone bluffs, is the source of sand for online cement customers. The M.C.o.W. hauls the sand in ex ore-jennies that are in captive service. This area also sees some steam action ocassionally as the nearby North Freedom Railroad museum runs excursions.

The construction of this area is mostly carved foam with blended and carved sculptamold added. Last week the LaRue hillside looked like this;

And this morning I spent a couple of hours painting it to this stage;

More to come........

Happy modeling,

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

That's quite a nice transformation!!
  3. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That is Awesome! Great rock face.
  4. cedarcreekrr

cedarcreekrr Member

Great work on the rock face, I hope mine look like that when they are done.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Nice carving and great coloring!

How 'bout a rock slide fence and detector/relay box next to the track?

6. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Thanks everyone!! Galen, That's a great idea. The CNW did have a slide detector at Devils' Lake here and that is in the general area that I model. The scene is FAR from complete and I really only took these photos to see how well they did under the light.

More to come.......

7. interurban

interurban Active Member

Nice work Johnny.

Love the colours
  8. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Hello Chris, Good to see you stop by. Thanks man, I'm gettin' her done a bit at a time.............

9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Hey Johnny...
    Back in the days, I used to go scuba diving at Devil's Lake...and your bluffs look just like those...!!! Great work...!:thumb:
  10. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Thanks Gus. "Back in the days"? It's changed a lot probably. The WSOR operates the line now and it only sees about 5-10 trains per week. Tell me, when you were scuba-diving there, ever hear(or see)about the rumoured steam loco laying in the water? When I hogged on that line old heads told of it. Said it was small but had hit a rockslide and went in.

11. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I can't say I did...If I'd ever heard about that, I would have gone looking for it...!!!:D
  12. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Awesome job!:thumb: :thumb:
  13. jr switch

jr switch Member

John---Your rock looks just like---well---real rocks! I can't say it any better than that. Good job!--------John R
  14. MadCoW1

MadCoW1 Member

Tom- Thanks a lot for looking. I was following your thread as well and am amazed at the progress.

JR- Thanks for the compliments. I'm in the process of planting some greenery in that area now.