The Hand

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by tomhom, Feb 29, 2008.

1. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Optimus Prime - Large Scratch Build

Hello all

I'v been lurking around this forum for a while now looking at all your amazing design's and i thought it was about time i pulled my finger out!
    I'v had this idea for a long while now but never done anything about it, now this is going to be a long one i think because its being done in between work, life, and other models so be patient please.

now the title says 'The Hand' but its is gona be part of a full size...thing.:twisted: (10 points for the one who guess what)
    anyway enough waffle on with the pics.
    (i apologise for the poor pics they were taken on my phone i'll try to get a proper camera next time)

here you can see the template's i made at the top and then the pieces i cut from them at the bottom (this is for one finger BTW)

Now at the top you can see i'v pieced them all together on cocktail sticks, not glued them yet mind and then trimed of the end of the sticks and glued the end to keep them in place

Next glue the end pieces on to hide the pins and presto one working finger skeleton woohoo!!

These are the panel pieces to go on next

The same finger with panels

Now i'm 6'5" and i'v not got the smallest hands ever so you can guess the size of this thing

Well thanks for listening hope to have an update sometime over the weekend

2. Loopy

Loopy Member

Nice! Now what would the full size "thing" be, I wonder....
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Now that's what I call a 'hand'!! I can't imagine how big the final thing would be.........
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Well, the final size depends on what it is.

I'm guessing it's a mech or robot for a start. Going by your avatar, I'd guess a Transformer?? If not then a Gundam!!

That hand looks great BTW. Looking forward to seeing more!
  5. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Optimus Prime - Large Scale Scratch Build

Hi All

Sorry for the late update but i've been a bit ill over the weekend but ok now so onward with the build
    as you can see this is going to be Optimus Prime its been floating around my head for a while, i estimate it be over 6 feet Tall its going to be fully articulated with a shed load of little surprise's and gimmicks (To light our Darkest Hour :twisted:) but sorry it wont transform i'm not that advanced (Yet!) anyway on with the photos

First up we have the thumb

Next up we have all four fingers with thumb ready to be attached to the hand and below that all the pieces to the hand

This is the hand piece assembled

Couple of shots of the hand internal skeleton

Couple more (with my Scale Cube)

And finally finished hand with paneling

up next will be the wrist so stay tuned
    Now when it comes to colouring this thing im still unsure at the moment i have two choice's either airbrush it or design and print textures on to coloured paper and laminate them on, i'm leaning toward the latter but any comments, ideas and advice will be very welcome

6. Master-Bruce

A 6' tall Prime?! Awesome!! ;)

The hand is very impressive, well done. Very solid too so will stand the test of time, tough it's going to weigh a ton isn't it??

As for skinning it, I think coloured card is a good way to go. Creating a lot of the details in photoshop or something then printing them onto coloued card. Just like sme Gundam papermodels out there. Though you could get some really cool effects from the airbrush. Tough one.

I'm looking foward to seeing more of this Tom. You're off to a great start. The extras sound cool too!! I got your clue straight away! Can't wait to see that, I was going to design one myself but I'll wait to see yours I think. Hey that's a great opportunity for adding lights!!
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

8. Kezn

Kezn pwned in the dawn

so good so far.
  9. jparenti

jparenti Member

I'd love to have a six-foot Optimus Prime in my living room, but just the hand would be an impressive conversation started. :)
  10. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

This is going to be fun to watch... I'll wait till you're finished so I can show the "keeper of all good buildspaces" what i want to build one day... and she thought a 3.5 foot boat took up some room :D

Good luck with this, it sounds like quite a daunting project, but you're off to a great start. I take it you're doing the older style optimus? (please say I'm wrong and you're doing the new movie version :p)
  11. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Hi guys

Thanks for all you comments there very much appreciated

Skip - what kind of prime were you thinking of doing? I do think coloured paper is the way to go didn’t think of painting it afterwards though get a bit of low and highlights in to it sounds like a good idea.

Jaffro – sorry mate I’m a G1 man all the way (plus there a lot easier to do:mrgreen:) although I might consider it after this on have an army of prime’s though the ages. The missus quite likes the idea so far but its only gona get bigger (she probably thinks I wont finish it:twisted:)

I’m basing this a lot on the masterpiece prime for the dimensions and whatnot so far accessory wise I have his gun, energy axe, the matrix and megatron in gun mode (maybe his sword from the 2007 movie because that thing was cool)
    If anyone can think of anymore that will be great

12. Master-Bruce

Sounds great buddy! :)

I was referring to the Matrix of Leadership. I was thinkin of designing one of those earlier in the year but got sidetracked. LOL. Lookingforward to see it. ;)
  13. tomhom

tomhom New Member