The Great Wahl Clipper Oil Experiment!

jim currie

neat ,wonder if any of the Wahl family are model railroaders?

Ha! You see I live in Sterling, IL. where Wahl is and am friends with the Wahl family. Nice to here that a product marketed localy is used by members of this fine forum.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Give them our regards for their fine product Bruce! I imagine they never thought it would be so popular with us train folk! :)
Ralph

fsm1000

screen That's kind of funny actually. We have been using it for this purpose for many decades now. I [for some silly reason] thought they might already have known this.
Seems 'common knowledge' isn't so common after all. sheesh LOL

Maybe they will market it for us at a discount, although most companies charge more when they find a 'specialty' product. :S

Anyhow, I would be interested in your friends reaction to this.

Gil Finn

one administration of a few drops every ten feet or so along the line.....

and this does what?

I always cleaned the oild and crap OFF my tracks. Never heard of this..is it a gag?

shaygetz

Gil Finn said:
I always cleaned the oild and crap OFF my tracks. Never heard of this..is it a gag?

No gag, Gil. Been using this myself since '84 when MR magazine did an article on it. As for marketing it, anyone remember Rail Zip? Basically one can of Wahl divided between three smaller bottles with the Rail Zip label, then sold for $1 more a bottle...a 250% profit...I love America:D

Herc Driver

Quick update...been running just about every diesels and have had no problems. I've noticed that the tracks seem to stay cleaner than before. The oil experiment rolls on.......

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
shaygetz said:
As for marketing it, anyone remember Rail Zip? Basically one can of Wahl divided between three smaller bottles with the Rail Zip label, then sold for $1 more a bottle...a 250% profit...I love America:D

No kidding? I was actually thinking the Wahl folks should market the oil for modelers but not if its going to be more expensive! :)

Yep, no gag Gil. The stuff works great. I first put it on my track in February of this year and all of my locos run smoother than before...and I haven't had to clean their wheels since.
Ralph

fsm1000

Hey Ralph. You started this thread in February [I think]. I was wondering, how goes the experiment? Amy new stuff? What , if anything have you done since?
Have you added more? Etc etc etc :D:D:D
Thanks ahead of time. :)
Enquiring minds wanna know :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
"Still running!" as the commercial goes! I haven't added any oil since Feb. Trains continue to oprae smoothly. I have passed my old masonite block track cleaning car over the layout a few times but not in response to problems...just seemed like a good idea.
Ralph

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Ralph - that is so cool!!!! I always thought my track stayed that clean because I don;'t operate the trains that much.... Great Idea and thaks for keeping track of all this :) :)

jim currie

Ralph said:
"Still running!" as the commercial goes! I haven't added any oil since Feb. Trains continue to oprae smoothly. I have passed my old masonite block track cleaning car over the layout a few times but not in response to problems...just seemed like a good idea.
Ralph

Ralph i do the same thing:D I also have used the masonite block as a way to Wahl the track.

RobertInOntario

I haven't read all of the responses here, but thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. The owner of a LHS near my work HIGHLY recommends Wahl oil. He's been an avid model railroader for over 40 years & knows his stuff. I've used Wahl oil for cleaning track and lubricating locos, and it DOES work. Yes, you only need a few drops (a few drops go a long way).

The wheels of the locos may spin in some places but that disappears after you've wiped the crud off the track after the loco's been around it a few times. You have to perservere and you will get results. Some of my most skittish locos are running very smoothly now.

Biased turkey

That experiment goes against all the laws of physics ( coefficient of friction )
That Wahl clipper oil experiment must be a Model Railroader "Urban legend " :)

But I'm gonna try it right now because:
1) I have a Wahl clipper at home ( it saves on barber fees )
2) It's a rainy day here in Montreal and I have nothing else to do .

shaygetz

Biased turkey said:
That experiment goes against all the laws of physics ( coefficient of friction )
That Wahl clipper oil experiment must be a Model Railroader "Urban legend " :)

But I'm gonna try it right now because:
1) I have a Wahl clipper at home ( it saves on barber fees )
2) It's a rainy day here in Montreal and I have nothing else to do .

You mean you have dry daze up there?:D

You'll not regret it, after 23 years, I still use it. I've never bought a bottle either as my beard and dome clippers come with enough to carry me thru the next century.

jim currie

shaygetz said:
You mean you have dry daze up there?:D

You'll not regret it, after 23 years, I still use it. I've never bought a bottle either as my beard and dome clippers come with enough to carry me thru the next century.

Your right Bob i got a bottle over 15 years ago and its half empty and thats because it fell over and run out :eek:ops: dont think you would use a ounce in 20 years.

Alanbateman

Wahl Clipper oil

Hi All :wave: from the UK
I fell across your site this afternoon and was interested in your discusions and experiments with Wahl clipper oil.

I have been using it for years for my railway stock and accessories and found it great.
A light coating is all you need for the best results.
I coated my stock before I packed it away prior to moving, it was in boxes for 3 years before I got round to starting again, all the stock was like new when I got it out again, what a relief. :)

I note you are having trouble getting the oil in the US!
I get mine online at http://www.heatherlea-pets.co.uk/acatalog/ yes a pet site :thumb: they have wahl pet products and oil, they do a 4oz bottle which lasts for ages and they ship worldwide.
I checked it out for you guys it is 2.99 and shipping is 1.25 to the US.

Happy Modeling All
Al