The Great Noble - A Card Model Ship (non historical)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eibwen, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

Hello! I am new here and I want to post my project I am just going to begin.

The name of the Ship is "the Great Noble" and It is non historical sooo..... ye, sums up that its fictional! Haha, based on my imaginations, it is a frigate, an old frigate.

I will post up updates here soon and thank you

(p.s. Its going to look of sort of like this---see below | just a 'foreshadow' of what it MAY look like Frigate.jpg )
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  2. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

In case, Its not really IT but just a concept of what it may look like but it would be different
  3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Hello @Eibwen to Zealot. You are off to a good start with your project.
    If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or need help. Please feel free to ask, and we will do what we can to help you.
    Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here.
  4. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

Thanks, my only problem is in making cannons, haha
  5. ----zathros---

----zathros--- -----SENIOR---- Administrator

I am moving this thread to the "Introductions" section, and will use it as your Introduction, Please read the forum's Rules and Policies, as they apply to everyone, no exceptions. This makes for a Happy forum. Welcome aboard! :)

p.s. Start a separate thread when you start building the ship.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Eibwen

Eibwen New Member

ok! thx for the info
  7. ----zathros---

Use a hand drill and small dowels, and sand paper. The electric hand drill acts as a small lathe, you can mount the wood in the chuck and start banging out cannons using sandpaper for your cutting tool. Embellish the cannons with paper handles, stands, etc, for a complete look. :)
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  8. ennder

ennder Member

Z that is a really good tip, I never thought of using a drill for a lathe.

Welcome aboard Eibwen, I hope you enjoy it here and become a valued member :)
  9. ----zathros---

If you are drill a hole into a 2 x 4 piece of wood, and then put a half inch Rod into the drill, the idea being to mount a center opposite to the drill check, you can make a row of wooden masts, cannons, and cut the end then enough to snap and sand smooth. I actually mounted a die grinder (a very high quality one, to a bracket I made, and put an ultra-fine cutting disc on the die grinder. One of the calipers on my 450SL had bound up, and the pad wore crooked and welded the edge from the metal to metal contact. It was only a half inch wide, and they were new Brembo disc rotors. I was able to clear off the rotor by removing the wheel, using spacers, tightening the hub and keep the rotor square, and clear off the weld from the softer disc steel. When I measured it will a dial indicator, it was within .002" of the rest of the disc, and perfectly flat. Within a week, you could not see the mark. (I drove that car hard, still have it. It will be the last car I restore. 1973 was a great year for those cars. The only option was air conditioning. It is a very simple car to maintain, if you understand cars. I got it for $6000 from the original owner, welded in a new factory floor, so perfect, the local dealership wanted to hire me to do floors for them. I was flipping Benz's, so I had no interest in working for anyone. I am the 2nd owner on this car, and parked it after I put 80,000 miles on it. I parked it because it needs a new interior, Mercedes Benz had a problem with U.V. rays, and the color Red, it literally disintegrated. It has some small non structural rust spots, but only has 160,000 miles on it, and that not even the half life of those cars. I also have the original removable hard top for it. The soft top is still in great condition. :)
    cg admin likes this.
  10. ennder

ennder Member

About 10 years ago I bought a small (6" throw) Clark metal lathe. I use it manly for making Christmas ornaments and other woodworking projects, but I have also turned metal items for family. If I had thought about the drill.... I could have save myself about $600 :headbange:

Sorry about hijacking your thread Eibwen.
  11. ----zathros---

I have a 9" SouthBend back gear lathe with broaching and milling attachment. With indicators on, the dials do not move when you check the ways, the original swirls are still there! With the flanges I have made with that and my Milling machine, and the exhaust tubing I have purchased, I have not purchased a factory exhaust for any car I have owed for over 30 years!! ;)

A recumbent trike I made around 7 years ago. Cruises around 22 mph effortlessly. Disc Brakes on the front wheels, on hubs I machined, and the rear swing arm hinges on a very expensive shock absorber.

Recumbent Trike.JPG