The golden Watch

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Modellbahner, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

I'm searching for a real watch of a train conductor. I have tried several antique shops but without success. Does somebody know where I can buy such a watch in the San Francisco Bay Area? It should be a real RR Watch, not a fake:p and does it cost?

2. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

That would be quite cool to have on display!! I would bet that you could find
    one on e-bay.
  3. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Ebay?:eek: Never, sure there could be but I don't like Ebay if it is something that is valuable. Too much bad experience. I will try it at flea markets or similar.

Are there some engravings of the RR or how can I identify an original?

4. ausien

ausien Active Member

The only way to get that real watch, is to ,work for the Railroad for 25-30 yrs.....(HEHEHEHEHe)..Good luck with your search,and hope you find one at the right price...have a good one..steve
  5. rcline

rcline Member

Axel - Try finding a good clock store and talk with those folks. They might be able to help you out! Just a thought. Maybe you could find one of those back street old town stores hiding in the older parts of town!
  6. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Funny enough. I was in a watch shop here in Kelowna British columbia and was looking over the pocket watches yesterday. I found a Western pacific pocket watch in the display cabinet. Beautiful peice unfortunetly I didn't have the $500 required to take the little fellow home. If I did I would display it in a shdow box on the wall in my train room.
    My father in law has a pocket watch that belonged to my wife's grandfather for when he worked on the CNR as a sectionman. I hope to someday inherit it as well and display it as I mentioned above.
  7. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

Axel, just a quick observation - are you looking for an American railroad or one from Europe? Not that I can help you but rather looking for clarification for the rest of the list.
  8. Honger

Honger Member

This is indeed an expensive hunt you are on. I have a watch used by my grandfather's uncle when he worked on the railroad... that'd make him my great-grand-uncle I believe. In any case, it has his initials engraved on it. He was a conductor for the Pennsy and was given the watch by his wife I believe... it was not awarded to him by the railroad though. Made in 1905 it appraises for around $1200! The sentimental value makes it far more precious to me of course. My point is that this could end up being quite an expensive undertaking... but quite a nice item to have. While I wouldn't have ever bought one for myself, it truly is a remarkable and awe-inspring piece or railroad memorabilia.
  9. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

just to make sure, I'm searching for an american railroad watch but it seems to be more difficulty and much more expensive as I thought. I will keep my eyes open.

10. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

sorry to put this again on the agenda but I was screening around in some antique shops and found some interessting watches and now I got the problem how to identify a "real" railroad watch which belongs to a conductor or a an engineer. How can I make sure that the watch is the right one? Are there any engravings on the the watch with the rail road name or something like this?

11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

To start with, if the antique shop is selling it as genuine, get it in writing with a money-back garantee. Then take it to an independent appraiser and get their opinion. Any reputable shop will be more than willing to do this, and an appraisal isn't going to cost that much either. If they don't know if it's genuine, or don't want to garantee it, then walk away.

Someone else might be able to give you some things to look for, but the above holds true for all antiques. I know this much, that $12 railroad pocket watch I bought at Wal Mart sure isn't a genuine RR watch, but I knew that when I bought it..:rolleyes::D

Good luck.
  12. rksstl

rksstl Member

Hi Axel,

I have checked this out myself a while back. I think it was Ball and/or Hamilton that made railroad grade pocket watches. These are the watches that conductors and engineers would buy. Look for a watch made in the early 1900's, it should not have a metal cover over the face the crystal is what flips up to adjust the time. Check out antique stores. Good luck there not cheap. :wave:
  13. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

My dad's watch from when he worked for the P&LE is a Hamilton.
    It is marked as a Hamilton Railway Special.
    I need to have it repaired one of these days.

Attached Files:

14. rksstl

rksstl Member

Beatiful watch Ray. You should have it repaired. Way too cool to let it sit.
  15. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I had a railroad watch once when I worked for the SP. After I left the SP my wife used it when she was a nurse. When she quit nursing, I sold it at my daughters garage sale. It wasn't working at the time I sold it.
  16. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Ray, that's a very nice watch. I have seen some Hamilton but all of them were without the railway special. Some of them looked the same way, so could it be possible, that these watches were also sold as we call it today "Industry series"? This means that the watch is the same but this particular watch was not made for a railroad?