The GG-1 rumbles overhead!

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I have a GG-1 that I got from my uncle years ago. It doesn't run well and I really didn't want to string wire through the entire layout, but I did want to display it in some way. I'm constructing this bridge that crosses one section of the layout as a Pennsy electrified line. It will seem to come from behind a couple of buildings and end at the edge of the layout, seemingly about to cross a river. Here a GG-1 with passenger train in tow passes the cabin car of a Pennsy freight.
Ralph

Attachments

• gg1.jpg
    gg1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 178

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Here's a shot from down below. The bridge is removeable for access to track behind it. I'd like to string some wire for the display but it needs to be durable enough to survive occasional movement. Any of you electric fans have ideas for how to model the overhead? Thanks!!!
Ralph

Attachments

• gg2.jpg
    gg2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 175

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Outstanding!!!

Well Ralph, that's just outstanding.

I too wanna include some GG-1 action on my layout. Like you, I'm thinking an indication of- not necessarily modeling the Pennsy main.

I saw brass etched catenary- contact wire, stringers and messenger wire that looks real easy to use. It was HO and came several lengths to a pack. I think it might have been 18" lengths. Perfect for your intended use. I can stop at the LHS to get the manufacturer today and post it if no one else beats me to it. But, knowing this group- you'll have the answer before I get in tonight.

Anyway, outstanding! Bravo!

Mark

:)

P.S. That "looking uP" shot reminds me of driving along the Schuylkill Expressway in Philly and passing 30th street station. I believe it's a B&O viaduct that flew over the yard there. Really kewl- Thanks.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Looks nice Ralph. I'm another who plans to have a short section of Pennsy track to pose a GG1 on. Mine will cross over the JGL main where it goes thru a wall into staging. I figure I can get one of those older lousy operating GG1s cheap somewhere. I'll have to watch for the info Mark mentioned.

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
What a great idea Ralph - the perfect way to include a bit of that hard-to-model catenary, by just doing a small portion of it. Looks like you're off to a great start; I look forward to more. Your catnary towers look pretty robust, so, perhaps in combination with the etched accessories that Mark mentioned, you will have a fairly durable, yet removable, scene...

Nice...

Jim:cool:

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
I Make my own.

Well Ralph Looks like our friends have steered you in the right direction.
I do hope this is Live overhead and not that dull pretend stuff:rolleyes:
Hope you Find what you need ready built, saves you scratch building the overhead.;)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Mark, that`s a good link, nice product to,,,,,,,,,, very expensive.
Glad I make my own:D
Good job you are not building a large layout Ralph.

You can make these and improve on the basic model, but you have to have the time.

Attachments

• p1010024.jpg
    p1010024.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 115

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks for your comments everyone! Mark, I KNEW you'd get into this! :) Thanks for the great link! Those are some fine looking products. I may consider getting just enough catenary for the four foot bridge if I can. The towers are much nicer than mine and are tempting too. Chris, you have my sincere admiration for the skill and patience involved in wiring a complete layout!!!!!! That's amazing, especially considering that the overhead provides the power. Craftsmanship!

Whatever I end up doing for overhead, this pic shows the obvious need for something to get that GG-1 going!
Ralph

Attachments

• gg4.jpg
    gg4.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 97

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
If it wasn't for the...

...messenger wire- I'd of strung, well, wire- but it's gotta look right for a G. This stuff looks great and at 72" per bag- I'd hook it up.

I liked Inter's look for the application. Cozy- and very interurban! (interurben, what the heck- i hadda go back like 10 times just to spell his nick once:D, on account I didn't want to "dis" him on account he's so darn, well, interurben!- read as cute???)

Thanks fo twisting my nut Ralph, I knew you knew that I love Gs and that I love 'em so, even more now that they'll (it) rumble over head and look right even if they (it) just sit here and look great on you railroad. I'd reccommend that you just rotate the stock out once a wekk below the G and post a new pic.

Ok- I'm almost done.

Regards,

Mark

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ralph:
do you want it to look like Pennsy prototype or will generic be OK? Are you going to power the GG from it or just drag the pantographs along or mount it 1/16" too high so that it won't touch?
Marklin used to make (Maybe still does) a catenary with contact wire, messenger, and droppers, out of stamped metal. This would be quick but maybe not Pennsy. I think some other Europeans make similar things.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Hey Mark,
I'll do that with periodic pics! Neat idea! G running different passenger equipemnt, G running a freight, two passenger trains on the bridge, different trains down below...fun!

David, I'm planning this as a static display so the cantenary will be nonoperating. I'd be OK with something that reasonably approximated Pennsy wire. I just want to capture the overall impression. Thanks for the tip about Marklin.
Ralph