The Gauge Party Winter 07

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
We asked you in this thread: http://forum.zealot.com/t151214/ for what you wanted in the future parties and contests on The Gauge. I saw the suggestion from Bones for a parts box competition, plus one from slekjr about using sprue and decided to use both ideas for the next challenge.

So, we are announcing: The Gauge Party Winter 07!!!!

As always - we have to even the playing field with guidelines :)

1. The party will start October 1, 2007 and end January 15, 2008. This is so it doesn't end during the holiday season...

2. This is a scratchbuild get together.. only 1/4 of your finished product can all be part of an original kit. The other 3/4 must come from your junk drawer, junk box, trash can.. Everything you have been saving "For that one time you need it" can be used here. :) There are no restrictions other than these "junk" parts must not be supplies from a new kit or bought new such as sheet goods or plastic shapes. Check out #6 for what can and cannot be used. We're talking imagination here, we're talking real junk.:rolleyes:

3. The finished model, MUST be railroad related or a structure that would normally be seen on a model railroad.

4. You can "register" by starting a separate thread in this forum and name it:
(Your name)'s Gauge Party Winter 07 then reply to this post with a link to your new thread....

5. We will open the voting a few days after Jan 15th..

6. Here is a general list of what's allowed and what's not allowed:

For a maximum of 25% of the project you can use anything that includes:
  • New parts from a kit or ready-built
  • Entire kits or ready-built if it constitutes only 25% of the project
  • Packaged plastic, brass, wood, & Ect. Sheet goods such as Evergreen, Plastruct, or shapes and ready-made scenery products such as Woodland Scenics.
All the above cannot total more than 25% of the project

For the 75% balance of the project (remember - you can use more of this list than 75%) you can use the following:
  • Bits and pieces of anything that is in your junk boxes or bins including spare parts from other kits.
  • Cardboard, sheets of paper, greeting cards, plastic containers and the likes.
  • Plastic or metal sprue from kits.
  • Small pieces of wood (To exclude full sheets & shapes).
  • Cardboard, plastic or paper shapes such as toilet paper rolls or toothpaste caps.
  • Anything you find in the trash can.
  • Anything you can swipe from your spouses vanity or makeup table... or find on yours.:eek:
  • Pebbles, rocks, dirt, sand, grass clippings, twigs or anything else from your yard or from the ground
  • Anything else you can find that you think qualifies.
Things that you should not use for the 75% remainder of the project:
  • New parts from a kit, packaged sheet goods or shapes that exceed the 25% allowed.
  • New scenic material such as ground foam or trees that exceed the 25% allowed.
  • If you have to question whether it's OK or not, it probably isn't.:rolleyes:
Remember, this is only a general list. We will let your conscience be your guide as to if something can or cannot be used. The intent here is to build something really cheap by using mostly junk and a lot of your imagination.

jbaakko

Mikey, you might want to clarify the wood scraps (75%) and sheet goods (25%). Such as:
Small pieces of wood (To exclude full sheets & shapes).

And make:
Packaged plastic, brass, wood, & Ect sheet goods such as Evergreen, Plastruct, or shapes and ready-made scenery products such as Woodland Scenics.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
I've been planning for a week now... i just spent FIVE HOURS cleaning the shop to get ready for the "Build"

I'm almost don planning - Getting ready to go!! :D :D :D :D

jbaakko

Well the planning, is well, 95% of my scrap is in the 25% category. Top that off with 99% of my imagination being there...

scottcn

For all you planners who are planning on making a plan, try this:

Dump contents of junk box into a pile alongside an unused siding. Use everything in the box. The messier, the better. Pour 1 bottle glue over the junk. Let dry. Paint junk pile in various shades of rust and ... voila! One 100%-from-the-junk-box pile of junk :)

No need to share your prize with me. This idea is provided as a community service :mrgreen:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Dump contents of junk box into a pile alongside an unused siding. Use everything in the box. The messier, the better. Pour 1 bottle glue over the junk. Let dry. Paint junk pile in various shades of rust and ... voila! One 100%-from-the-junk-box pile of junk :)

No need to share your prize with me. This idea is provided as a community service :mrgreen:

sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1sign1

now thats a good one :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jbaakko

Great idea, but I'd think that might constitute more then 25%.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Oh boy, you're ALL in trouble now...

I've got 25lbs of junk!

Wow, and I thought my sister was a packrat!:eek::rolleyes::p:mrgreen:

Hey, for 'junk box' parts, can they be from a kit, but the kit they came from has already been assembled/kitbashed/whatever and the leftover parts put in the junk box?:confused: Oh, and let's say you have 25% already in the model, but can you use decals from a relitively new kit?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, and I thought my sister was a packrat!:eek::rolleyes::p:mrgreen:

Hey, for 'junk box' parts, can they be from a kit, but the kit they came from has already been assembled/kitbashed/whatever and the leftover parts put in the junk box?:confused: Oh, and let's say you have 25% already in the model, but can you use decals from a relitively new kit?
We are not going to split hairs. If some of your "junk" was leftover from a kit, in a sense it's "new", but in reality, it's junk and therefore can constitute up to 100% of your project. That includes decals and anything else one might find. What we are trying to do is to keep someone from making a kit, then dressing it up a bit.

Use this criteria. If you feel comfortable using something in your project, do so, you don't have to ask. If you feel hesitant about using something, then don't use it. You're on your honor and I know everyone that enters are honorable folk....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

yee gads, 25# of junk...:p :p :p :p

CNWman

CNW Fan
We are not going to split hairs. If some of your "junk" was leftover from a kit, in a sense it's "new", but in reality, it's junk and therefore can constitute up to 100% of your project. That includes decals and anything else one might find. What we are trying to do is to keep someone from making a kit, then dressing it up a bit.

Use this criteria. If you feel comfortable using something in your project, do so, you don't have to ask. If you feel hesitant about using something, then don't use it. You're on your honor and I know everyone that enters are honorable folk....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

yee gads, 25# of junk...:p :p :p :p

Alright, thanks for the info. I still have a bunch of window peices left over from the assembly of the grain elevator (aparently they were for the acompanying building, the actual milling structure, and that would actualy answer the question why the decals for the main building are on the decal sheet...), along with what looks like the base for the aforementioned structure (man, did Walthers gang-mold the two together?), and some other stuff. I am going to have a challengle literaly with this one, mainly because my junk box isn't as full as you guys have yours.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
i just spent FIVE HOURS cleaning the shop to get ready for the "Build"

Well! Mikey's out of this one guys, it'll take him six months just to figure out where everything went to! bounce7