The Gauge -1/2 Year in Review

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
I thought it would be cool to review the goings on here at the Gauge for the last year. But since I've only been a member since June, I could only do half a year.

278 new members joined since I joined.
Here's some other stuff that went on....

The Roadrunner and Wil E. Coyote visit the Smokey Mountains with the usual results.

jon takes to many meds and ends up firing two plastic people who retaliate by making cameo appearences in his pictures.

The "Box" makes it around the world, even though it fell off a flat car, got hit by a truck, and blown up by an M-1 tank.

A "Rogues Gallery" was started, with the usual suspects posting pictures of themselfs.

Forest Gump gets run down by a train.

Mr. Clean is found dead in Canada.

NASA lands a GP-9 on the moon.

A fury cap keeps stealing doughnuts, and biting people in the brakeroom.
Did I forget anything?

acshrpe

Oct 15, 2002
Southern MI
Visit site
I know what you forgot! We have all met a lot of wonderful people who have a world of knowledge to share :D Some of us are crazy or is it the rest of the world that is crazy and we are perfectly sane. Kidding aside, I consider myself lucky to have met all of you with your vast knowledge so I may succeed in my building a part of my childhood. God Bless.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Now THIS is a great thread!!!! I, as a 2 Yr veteran of The Gauge. Thank all the members for both their questions & answers.

I further thank all the "retired" members for their Most Sincere answers to my insane questions (notice I DIDN'T say "Stupid") LOL - both the ones I asked, or would have asked if someone hadn't beaten me to it :D :D

Then there's the ENTIRE photo forum and the Archives - what a "Godsend" for all us inexperienced modelers!!!!!! For comic relief, (the Box), "Board" information (The gauge Railroad) and the MOST sincere and Valuable information I've ever seen in one place......

I had No idea what I was capable of until I saw some of the works on platforms.. and tried to do it myself :D :D :) :D :D

Thank You all!!!! Both Old & New!!!!

~~Mikey

Merry X-mas and Happy New Year to all and many many more!!!!!!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

88-
I had to add the above to your review, hope you don't mind.
There is not another forum out there that you can learn and talk trains and have a ball!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

Marty

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Did I forget anything?

N-gauger and AC started to acknowledge the Gauge folks by talking about how they have responded to questions and have been supportive of all of us on the Forums. My take on it is that there are a lot of darn fine people here that do a lot of darn fine work and share their thoughts, techniques and critiques freely and politely. There is no "bashing" of ideas or people (unless we talk about jon and his meds a bit, or Caseys "hat").

I have come away this past 4+ months with more "how-to" information and tried things that I had never thought about doing in my non-gauge years of reading and arm-chair modeling.

This is a place that I always come back to after a meeting or other work. It is a good place to be - kind of like home.
:) :) :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
88, your a genius!!! You've done it again! You should make a page on your site with all the stuff when the thread dies down.

I would say the frosting on the cake for the year is that we have a nice little chat room running. What a nice grand final for the year!

Love it to death!:D :D :D :) ;) ;) :p :p :cool: :cool: :D :D :D

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Thanks everyone.
I was thinking up all the funny stuff that happened, I totally forgot the most important. But evryone seems to have staightened me out on that one.

By the way...Who became a member on Jan 31st, 1969? Theres no handle, just a 30 year old join date.
I found that while trying to figure out how many people have joined.

Hi N Gauger, i wasn't going by the dates. i met Shamus in fall of 2000, if my memory serves me correct. On the old trainorder board. He introduced me to the gauge. In January/2001 i posted with the help of Shamus, to the Academy, Making Mountain Backdrops.
MtnBkDrp.jpg

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by eightyeightfan1
Great idea jon!!!! Added it to "THe Gauge Page" on my site.
What I'd like to do is add a link to the thread that is mentioned in my review...Where do I get that imformation from?
I forgot about the fury cap...but seems how he shows up in most of the brake room posts, it would be hard to make a link.
You can read the review at:http://geocities.com/eightyeightfan_99/gaugepage.html

The only other thing I can think of as fara as content goes is the introduction of contests. I call them contests, because although they are photo contests, they can also be scratchbuilding contests so many are multi-skill.

As far as linking to a thread, you just locate it however (search or browsing for it) then just copy the address line off the top of the browser. For example, this thread is http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4018, this page of this thread is http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4018&perpage=5&pagenumber=3

Although you already know how to make a link, assuming you like to do it by hand, you might do this to link to this thread:

<P><A HREF="http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4018">This thread</A> is where <B>88</B> thought of this great idea!</P>

Does that help? Let me know if I can help you 88.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Well.... I have only been reading this forum for a month, since finding it while researching for my rekindled love of modeling which was sparked by a coworker and Dad's old HO table, it is THE best forum I've ever read.

Everyone is SO helpful and SO friendly. It's the only forum that contains NO flaming, just alot of good hearted bantering which for me can be the staff of life. The advice and information I've found here is amazing and priceless.

The fact that it is sponsered by anonymus, private patrons is refreshing. An incredibly generous gesture.

Thanks to all who participate. :)

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Re: Forgot One!

Originally posted by Vic
Don't forget The Invasion of the Eoads...:D :D :D

Hey, it good to know I contributed something! :D
And what about my other contributions...loading socks, bug brushes, wood sises goindolas ?!:D :rolleyes: :p :D

It looks like I've been here for nearly 2 yrs also...it's been great!
I've met so many great people, & learned so much!
I've been inspired & encouraged along the way, tried new things, & had a lot of fun too!

I'd like to thank all of you for making it happen! :)