The gatter

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Everybody builds a sawmill for his logging railroad. I did as well, but a bit differently as we know.

This machine is the so called venetian gatter, which with a single operation cuts the wood into lumber. Do you have (did you have) such machines over the lake?

Attachments

• gatter2.jpg
    gatter2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 219

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I don't model logging or know much about it but your subject heading made me curious. Wow! What an amazing model of that intricate machine!
Ralph

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thats a very interesting looking piece of machinery, any chance of a large photo of it taken from the front and back, and side views. Would be interested in making one for myself.
Thanks
Shamus

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Originally posted by shamus
Thats a very interesting looking piece of machinery, any chance of a large photo of it taken from the front and back, and side views. Would be interested in making one for myself.
Thanks
Shamus

Hi Shamus

few photos are on my WEB page, and I will make some more (not on the layout in next days).

I have also a drawing - the model is a bit different in the part where the log is moved to the gatter (I found an another method in an old book).

Have the drawings and the old picture. The drawing is for H0 and according the space what I had on the laxout.

Regards

Attachments

• gatterex.jpg
    gatterex.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 177

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Hi

you are right.

The model is animated (even functional :eek: theoretically I could cut some balsa ..... :D ).

The frame with piercing saw blades is moving up and down, and the transportation mechanism (two ribbed drums) is turning to move slowly the log across the saw. The motor is under the layout. The original belt and chain drive is done by tiny rubber bands.

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
i just had an image of a mini scene - A man with a top hat and a twirly handlebar mustache (typical 1920s film villan) about to feed a damsel in distress through your venetian gatter with the hero riding to save her (on a shay? probably faster to walk:) )

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Venetian Gatter

Do you have the dimensions for the Venetian Gatter that you do a post about?
I would like to model one.
How did you get the unit to be an animated structure?
Thanks
Eric

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
That is one intriguing model ET. You have done an excellent job putting it together .
Very nice.
I haven't seen anything like it at the logging museums I have visited here. I do know that German wood cutting machinery is used in factories here because nobody else makes that kind of equipment.