The future MV&P- Needs some help!

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ok let me say this....Table top layout is not close to simple. It makes laying track and getting it to that READY point FAST but whats next. you now have to build up the ground to make it look real. cookie cutter is simple dude and youll have no problem doing it trust me. You will thank me once its done since it makes your layout 3D rather than flat and witout life. You can still take it apart with this method as well just have to think ahead anyways.

Also when you move you really gotta remember that a new place means new space or different area. Just build yours now and maybe when you move youll be able to reuse this layout in parts. I can fit everything you want in this layout sir if we have the bottom area of the layout 2 levels and not as wide. You can make it have end points with staging in that 1x4 space but can we push that 1x4 lets say to 1x8 or 2x6? whats the limits here dude?

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
unfortunately, it can only be a 1.5X4' at the most. :( still retains the 10' X 16' foot print. Might want to notch the corner in the upper peninsula for access when the car is in the garage.

Fine with cookie cutter! :thumb: What you suggest is great, because I dislike building benchwork (that could probably change with the correct tools... ;)

Xould you provide me a link to how to build cookie cutter benchwork?

Thanks! ;)

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
ok so there is a door or sumthing at the 4 foot mark down that wall? I dont get whats stopping it from going further. How about staging tracks in the Storage room ?

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
dude follow my plan. I have 2 major sidings for towns do you need me to draw the citys on the map for you? I have 2 ideas which i will post tommorow around noon EST that u can look at. Do you like the general idea of the benchwork layout? Can you use that storage room for anything Track wise? These type of things can make the layout plan that much better.

Let me know what you think

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
I just want to know where you think SLO is, I've thought it to be in the upper peninsula, near the loop. I can fit the other cities where I want, obviously. :)

The Benchwork is fantastic! :thumb:

The storage room is floor to ceiling boxes. :(

And yes, I think it might work, with a little tweaking! :)

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ok so if its floor to ceiling boxes I suggest going out and buying so rubbermade storage boxes (mine are black with grey lids) and prepare to use the under the layout storage. This would free you up alot of space room in there which you would only need one free wall to house the staging yards. You would have to let me know what if any obstructions there are in that room. ie another door or whatever.

Once we get an idea what you can play with then I will start to detail more into the plan.

oh and wait till tommorow when i scan the new plans in that have a yard up top...thats the BIG city with the yard and even passenger station or turntable.

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ok here is a top level with a roundhouse area.
222001.jpg

And here is a top level with just a yard and a few sidings.
222002.jpg

Ok these are just ruff drafts and just to give an idea what you can do. with the space you have to work with.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
WOW!! Thanks GottaBreal!!! :) :eek:

Those look perfect. I'll print them out and use them as a guide for the future layout.

=====BUT!!======

Due to:

-Me being a senoir in High School
-College possibly around the cirner
-Lack of funds, and parental will to lave a large layout in the garage
-And the fact that my current layout is in the scenery stage, which is my favorite...

I'll have to wait until I have a house to call my own before this becomes a dream, if the gauge would last that electronic eternity of 20 years...I'll see if I can build it, really! :) And I'll postpictures.

However, I need to rework my current layout trackwise.

Could you help me with that?
(sorry about this one, my mom told me last night that it just won't happen) :cry:

To see a trackplan of my current layout, go in the Photography section to "Chronicles of a shortline" Here: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=22147

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
So you have a 4x8 plywood base to work with? Give me what you have to work with and I can make a plan for that easy. Try a nice point to point in a small space its alot of fun.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
OK, so much for talking myself outta this one! My OLD layout is it is now called, will be torn down very soon! I would like all of you trackplanners out there (GottaBreal, still here?) to consider the trackplan on the first page as a guide. I would like a little smaller layout than the large (but very very nice!! :thumb: ) layout gottaBreal proposed. Thanks to all who are willing to help! :)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I'd also want to know what purpose the yard serves for you...is it car storage, train storage, classification tracks, etc. If it's just serving as staging for trains to go out and make the loop then come back then that's one thing, but if you'll be shifting and sorting cars, making up and breaking down trains, that's another. Knowing this will help with the design process.

Galen

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Yes, the triangular MS paint layout. I wouldn't mind the duckunder, as it'll be about 4' off the ground. I'll probably only have to "Duck" if you wil versus other duckunders that would involve crawling.

Also, the purpose of the yard would serve ALL of thos functions, as I REALLY enjoy switching, as well as a nice mainline run with wide curves! :cool:

As far as the shape Vs. a walkaround, I'll leave that up to you. I don't like seeing the same train go through the scene once, then again, a few feet infront of that.

Play around with the triangluar plan! You can incorporate things you might like, also the crossover switching puzzle on the "left" side needs some reworking.

try to incorporate a few switches I already own, like:

-two standard Atlas wyes
-two left peco #4's
-A "customline" long #6

Make sure to make EVERY single switch count, as I don't have alot of money for that!

Thanks!

kitsune

Sep 10, 2006
The problem is you want mainline running but you want small. Those are hard to balance.

What do you enjoy more? Switching, or running? What matters more, scenic fidelity, or track operations?