The Flying Scotsman

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by andyslogos, Jul 22, 2008.

1. andyslogos

andyslogos Member

This is the first paper model that I ever made, I 'found it' in supermarket and had never seen paper models before !

Its a nice diorama model of the Flying Scotsman LNER A1 Pacific steam Locomotive.

Sadly it's not free but you can still get the 'book' for a couple of pounds!

See all the pictures here.... Models/train.html

Andy :wave:

Attached Files:

2. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Pretty cool Andy. Very nice first build. I'm thinking the train guys will love this!
  3. andyslogos

andyslogos Member

Thanks CK, I think it must have been beginners luck !
  4. David H

David H Member

Cool... and I bet you built it a lot faster than the National Railway Museum is re-building the real thing!

5. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Nice first build!! Got any more pics?
  6. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Nice build! My grandfather used to work on that very locomotive and others in the train yards of York. The stories he tells... like how they used to change the steel tires on those monster drive wheels.... holy cow.
  7. andyslogos

andyslogos Member

Thanks for all the nice comments :)

I had to look that up David as I didn't know that, I thought it had not long been done but looking at the site I see it's 'certificate' of road ( well track!) worthyness has run out so they are totally stripping it.

It cost £7944 to build in 1924 lol, I wonder what a new Bullet train runs at these days !

The link to all the pics is above the picture Elliott !

Nice story outsketcher, I'm not much into History at all but I think it's a bit sad when you here nice things like that, makes you realise what total complete **** everything is made like these days :-( compared to those days.... oh dear it's broken/worn out lets just chuck it away !

Andy :)
  8. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

I got one! I found a copy of the book its in in a Charleston SC book store!!:thumb:
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Very nice, Andy. I, too, got my first copy of this kit in a supermarket! It was way back in the dim days of paper modeling (for me, anyway). I was afraid I'd mess it up, so I photocopied the kit and built one in B&W. It actually looks pretty good that way, considering how many black locos there are out there. I've since found a couple more copies, so I'll be able to build a color original next time. Maybe sooner rather than later now that I've seen yours for inspiration.

Scott K.
  10. andyslogos

andyslogos Member

good stuff :) , maybe I should apply to Parragon for some commision for all this renewed interest in it lol.

That was a good idea, I would never have had the brains to think of that.

It sounds like you can make a fleet of them :mrgreen:

11. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

A poto of my Flying Scotsman locomotive

Attached Files:

12. hmas

hmas Member

Can anyone tell me, what scale it is in please?
    1/45 0 gauge track or 1/87 H0 00 track.
  13. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

answere to previous post

HO gague --- OO scale.
    It ran on 1/87 scale track, but the bodies scale was proportioned to half O. Very common in early HO up to the 70's. Now only a Hornby thing. As you can see you had to be 10 to 12 feet tall to drive this engine.
  14. hmas

hmas Member

Thanks, I won't go chasing one down yet.:mrgreen: