The First Train Pulls Into Town!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
As the sun set this evening, the first train pulled into the small burg of "Wedgietown".:)

No-one even knew the train would show up, as the locals have become somewhat jaded by the slow track-laying progress. Marvin, who works for the local newspaper, "The Wedgietown Brief", pulled into town (which hasn't even been built yet!!) in his '69 Hemi Daytona Charger to record the event for posterity. As the Anachronism Police haven't had their building built yet, he was able to drive about unmolested.

Attachments

• firsttrainpullsintotown.jpg
    firsttrainpullsintotown.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 188

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Another Shot...

FINALLY!! :D

After a marathon track-laying session, I have the main line installed. After a few false starts, the line is smooth and the trains run nicely without uncoupling, derailing or coming to other harm. Now, I hope to be able to put cork under the track, and attach the track properly, as for the moment it is just being held by staples. I wanted to be sure that the trackwork was acceptable before permanently attaching it.

How very nice to be able to stand back and watch trains run.:D :D

Attachments

• firsttrainpullsintotown2.jpg
    firsttrainpullsintotown2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 183

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Part Of The Main Line...

Here we see the first train as it heads along the Megill River. The track follows the curve of the river, and then crosses a long spindly-legged trestle before approaching Wedgietown. This section will have some whitewater and a small waterfall or two.

Attachments

• megillriverfallssept29.jpg
    megillriverfallssept29.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 175

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Another Shot...

Here, the same train enters an S curve on the opposite side of the layout. My small trestle has been placed for giving an idea of roughly where the branch line will go.

Attachments

• trainonscurve.jpg
    trainonscurve.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 122

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
La Derriere! Ooooh LaLa!

The train rounds the S curve, showing us the newly received ex-C&S caboose. The line hasn't even had time to do much more than a quick slap of paint to cover the C&S logo, as no-one figured the main line would ever actually get put down!

Attachments

• trainonscurve2.jpg
    trainonscurve2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 125

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I like the caboose! I like to see examples of equipment under new management with quickie paint/stencilling jobs to get them in service. This covered hopper by Blake Tatar is now owned by Eagle Cement Company.

Attachments

• p1010072.jpg
    p1010072.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 97

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Lighthorseman,

I just love those old time rolling stock and steamer.
I'm chuckling at the thought that now trains can run, further construction will slow down! It's sooooo tempting to go to the train room with something in mind and finish up running the trains instead ... :D :D

It's sure coming along just great.

Errol

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Let There Be...Sky.

Not much work, but a nice result. The backdrop has been painted with just a simple blue, but those who say that it makes a BIG difference are correct!

Sadly, it tends to call glaring attention to all the unscenicked plywood.:(

Attachments

• 11oct2k2.jpg
    11oct2k2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 64

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Lighthorseman, first a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to one and ALL.

Your phots are great, nice stuff and great plans 'BUT' were did you get the name "Wedgietown" from?? :D

Your equipment looks great, I can almost here that whistle blow.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers.
Chris.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
..."Wedgietown"

The silly town name came from a TV series my kids love called "Stickin' Around". It's a bunch of cartoon stick kids, and the local bully is always making the main kid "take a trip to Wedgietown".

Somehow, everyone thought that at least one town name should be "wedgietown", so that the denizens of the layout could take a trip there, I suppose.