The ever lasting layout Project

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Today I am in the seventh month of a two-month project. You know the kind of project the one that looks easy and you figure you can get it done in a short time. Who would of thought a very simple 5 x 9 layout would take so much time and of course far exceed the planned budget in the process.

I only had to lay three tracks and a small trolley line. When you think about it that didn’t leave much room for anything more. Well at least that was what I thought. I tried to figure out how much wire I have installed. The only problem is I seem to be adding more each day.

I feel just like those Government construction jobs using Union labor. I approve the plans construct the area then submit changes after the fact then tear down some of what was built only to rebuild it. Let me tell you it is even better when you have to run wires over that new landscape or ballasted track.

Signals were not even a consideration in the original blue prints. Did you ever try adding them when you didn’t plan for them? Thank god for hot glue since most of the places would never permit putting screws in place. Unfortunately the construction company failed to look at the old blue prints and took out some wiring when doing the drilling work.

However the worse engineering planning was done on the tunnel portal locations. You would think someone would realize if you place a portal on a curve it needs to be a little wider.

[FONT=&quot]The building project has been extended for another three months but somehow I feel this will not be finish until 2008[/FONT]
  2. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I feel the same way at times. I have not given any thought as of yet to putting lights in any of the buildings... yet. That time will come soon enough and then I'm sure it will be a two steps back one step forward process. Finish a layout???? You mean people actually do that?
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I just reconstructed part of the mountain to get the double wide portal in place for the curve. I gave the plaster a coat of green undercoating and it should be ready to landscape tomorrow. To tell the truth I had a general plan then modified it at every step. I’m sure I will come up with a new idea every other day.

I even have a loose idea in my head for an expansion of the layout that will include a few grades. When you think about it you can get some big trains into a small space. I will have to update the photographs in my layout soon.