The Edmund Fitzgerald Project

S

sdk2knbk

The Edmund Fitzgerald in 1/350 scale. This is the latest white test build as it stands now. I need to change a couple of errors, and add many more small details.

Scott K.

Attachments

• White Fitz 1.jpg
    White Fitz 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,036
S

sdk2knbk

Another view.

Attachments

• White Fitz 2.jpg
    White Fitz 2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,028

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Some how I knew............. almost asked about the EF in the last post. :grin:

Looks good! Remember to batten down the hatches............. there's a storm brewing.

john

S

sdk2knbk

Well, I *was* going to have more pictures up, then this old clanker I'm using crashed again. OK, let's try that again.... Here's fore and aft detail views, the "family portrait" of the first 1/350 test and 2 1/700 versions, and the last is another project that distracts me from the Fitz from time to time.

Scott

Attachments

• Fitz bow.jpg
    Fitz bow.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Fitz stern.jpg
    Fitz stern.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 473
  • Fitz group.jpg
    Fitz group.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 512
  • ww1bb.jpg
    ww1bb.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 529
S

sdk2knbk

Thanks John and John. As for the song, well, the Fitz was not the only victim of "The gales of November". The Carl D. Bradley was lost on Lake Michigan on November 18, 1958, with only 2 survivors, and the Daniel J. Morrell went down on Lake Huron on November 29, 1966 with a loss of 28 men. Nobody outside the shipping community seems to remember them, so I'm going to design models in tribute to them eventually as well.

Scott

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Scott,

Very nice models of the Fitz... Are these test builds for a bigger, final version? Nevertheless, very good work. I can't wait to see further progress.

Is that "other project" a British super dreadnought? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

S

sdk2knbk

eibwarrior said:
Scott,

Very nice models of the Fitz... Are these test builds for a bigger, final version? Nevertheless, very good work. I can't wait to see further progress.

Is that "other project" a British super dreadnought? Or are my eyes deceiving me?
Thanks. And, yes and yes.

Scott

David T. Okamura

Jan 30, 2005
Hi, Scott!

Yes, it's a fantastic model of the "Big Fitz". And I see you're working on the "Gin Palace", too! Definitely a famous, but rarely-modeled battleship. Will you have the flying deck as an option for her earlier appearance? (Perhaps with more optional parts to portray her in the Brazilian or Turkish navy?) ;-)

Gregory Shoda

Apr 17, 2004
Honolulu, HI
Scott K:

Good job so far. Why so many Edmund Fitzgeralds and how are you going to color it? If I were to make a scratch built model, I think I would just make one model of a particular ship. There are so many models to make and so little time. Are you going to market a kit?

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Not to speak for Scott................ but one of the reasons for so many models of a subject is, that during the initial design process it actually takes building a models to see if it first goes together correctly, then if any changes are made(tweaking) you really need to build it again, or at the very least, the part that was tweaked. This can be a LONG process with very detailed models.

Re-coloring a model requires the same thing...............believe me.

Designing and/or re-coloring a card model can be a boring, repetitive, boring.........did I say boring twice, process. You really must truly love the subject or at least the process in order to be good at it or produce good results.

This is one of the reasons I have GREAT RESPECT for designers and support them whenever possible. It really is work to put out a great looking, scale accurate model of a subject....................

Give either one a try sometime............ you might be surprised.

john

S

sdk2knbk

Bowdenja said:
Not to speak for Scott................ but one of the reasons for so many models of a subject is, that during the initial design process it actually takes building a models to see if it first goes together correctly, then if any changes are made(tweaking) you really need to build it again, or at the very least, the part that was tweaked. This can be a LONG process with very detailed models.

Re-coloring a model requires the same thing...............believe me.

Designing and/or re-coloring a card model can be a boring, repetitive, boring.........did I say boring twice, process. You really must truly love the subject or at least the process in order to be good at it or produce good results.

This is one of the reasons I have GREAT RESPECT for designers and support them whenever possible. It really is work to put out a great looking, scale accurate model of a subject....................

Give either one a try sometime............ you might be surprised.

john

John,

You said it better than I could. Anyone notice that I didn't show the Fitz from astern? That's one of the main areas that needs rework (what worked at 1/700 doesn't at all in 1/350). Also, it saves ink to build the tests in white. My daughter asked me the same question about the color yesterday.

Repetitive, boring? Yup, that's one of the reasons I have so many projects underway at once. (The 21 hatch covers at 3 pieces each didn't help :) )

Scott

S

sdk2knbk

David T. Okamura said:
Hi, Scott!

Yes, it's a fantastic model of the "Big Fitz". And I see you're working on the "Gin Palace", too! Definitely a famous, but rarely-modeled battleship. Will you have the flying deck as an option for her earlier appearance? (Perhaps with more optional parts to portray her in the Brazilian or Turkish navy?) ;-)
Thanks, David! Glad to hear from you again. I wondered if anyone would recognize the Agincourt. I agree with most opinions that she looked much better without the flying bridge, but may offer it as an option anyway.

Let me ask your opinion on a Fitz detail. The railings. What do you think? None at all, or double-sided printed ones such as on Schreiber's Savannah?

Scott

David T. Okamura

Jan 30, 2005
Hi, Scott!

Anyone who can count to seven can recognize HMS Agincourt. ;-)

As for railings, I actually prefer David Hathaway's method of providing the option of installing double-sided printed paper railings or forming thread railings on a template. You might only need to include railings for the superstructure, rather than the long stretch along the sides.

ShaunGamer

Mar 15, 2004
Tropical Australia
www.geocities.com
I am not into ships as a rule, although there are some excellent models out there, but for some reason this has piqued my fancy. Perhaps the subject matter? Who knows, but I am finding this thread very interesting!

Just wondering if this is a scratchbuilt one off, or will you be selling a kit?

S

sdk2knbk

Shaun, I am considering selling the kit, *if* I can do a good enough job on it. That remains to be seen.

Stev0, I took a look at the Sable Island link, yikes! I think I'd steer well clear of that place!

Speaking of tributes, another of my projects is the MV Windoc. She was struck by a prematurely lowered lift bridge on the Welland canal in 2001. I found her story particulary interesting because my family and I were only a couple of miles downstream at the time it happened. Had we not decided to head home rather than travel down to Port Colborne, we might have seen it happen. Look here for the video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFogSp4Ir8Y
And here for the full story;
http://www.boatnerd.com/windoc
Never take a narcotic prescription med when you might be called in to work!

Here's the first (small) test build, with yet another delayed project, the USS Tuscaloosa.

Scott

Attachments

• tuscwin2.jpg
    tuscwin2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 329