The Down Side to O Gauge

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Yes my friends there is a down side to running with the big O. My stock of O gauge engines, rolling stock and accessories has grown somewhat over this past year. I save every box like a pack rat and I have now run out of space under the layout and even some cabinets in the train room.

It gets to a point that they take up valuable space that could be used for other neat things I may want to save. So now comes the point in time that I have to move them to another location. The problem is that I act as if the boxes are worth more than the trains that came in them.

My first thought was the attic but with a steel roof it gets above 100 degrees during the summer. The basement is out of the question. It is wet 100% of the time during the year because a spring was either rerouted or the house was built on one.

[FONT=&quot]I have come to the conclusion they are not gold and it is time to treat them like what they are boxes. I’m going to move them to the third story of the shop building even though it is not heated or has any humidity controls. After all they are boxes and the space is more valuable for storing rolling stock and other important junk[/FONT]
  2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hee Hee, are O scale boxes nicer than HO scale boxes? I use my Athearn "Blue Boxes" as containers for small paint brushes, little tools, and detail parts.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

LOL Ralph you know us O gauge people we think we are setting on an investment.
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

:) Hey, How about using those boxes as the beginings of O scale structures?!
  5. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

i may not have known him,but i do know this.robin would be proud ralph :mrgreen:.but seriously,why not disassemble the boxes and flatten them out and store them that way.--josh
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

It's a tradition for O guagers to save boxes. :D I have a bunch flattened out and bundled up. Our equipment is always more valuable if the original box is with it. LOL

7. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Flatten the boxes, you can tape them up later again if you need to reuse them. Then stack them and tie together using string or twine. You will save a ton of space. Don't ask me how I know :D
  8. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

You know I got to thinking, my old boxes were easy to flatten. The stuff coming out now have so much packing to protect the equipment on its journey from China it no longer is a simple matter of flattenning out the boxes. :D

9. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

LOL It might work for my Post War rolling stock but MTH packs them in Styrofoam. This makes it very hard to fold the boxes. :mrgreen:
  10. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Put all the foam into a BIG box then re-use it as packing foam [break it up of course] for when you ship things to friends and family. Just an idea. :)
  11. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

That is a good idea but I really save the boxes and foam for the day I might have to move.
  12. scottcn

scottcn Member

Clearly you need a bigger train room.
  13. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The styrofoam is impervious to the temperature and humdity considerations, so take the insides of the boxes and store them in the basement (it will also give you something to float on when the basement floods).

The collapse the boxes and store them under the current layout. But not before you create a comprehensive database to cross-reference all the insides with the outsides...! ;) :D hamr

14. Geno

Geno Member

The boxes are always a challenge to store, especially if you keep the foam too- but as mentioned before, it's good to keep them if you ever plan to sell anything. Most of my boxes get stored under the layout or out in my shed.

15. badgerys

badgerys Member

Oh my!
    There is the box madness again.I know one bloke whom I call the box thinks the boxes are more important than the trains.I realize there are a lot of poeple out there who collect for profit and think about the enormous profit they can make in years to come.
    Since I collect trains from the 20s and 30s this problem is not really one that would affect me.I do run my trains ,keep the ones that are not on the track in showcases and have no intention to part with any of them.So the investment part does not exist.
    If You have so many boxes that they have become a problem ,think about whether You can actually run them.If the answer is no,put them on Fleabay,somebody out there is bound to be crazy enough to pay top dollars for them.It solves the problem of storage and also puts a few bucks in Your pocket to aquire a few more trains.
    As for transport purposes there are better ways than using the original boxes.In my case avocado boxes and bubble wrap are a more than satisfactory solution.Also works fine for storage.

Just my two bobs worth

16. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

LOL, I know what a is. I thought those box collectors were an indigenous species to the North American continent. :D

17. nkp174

nkp174 Active Member

Well, you can ask yourself what market there will be for it in the future.

Here is what I mean: Baby boomers grew up with 3 rail O gauge...but the current ypees grew up with HO and N scale. You rarely see us in the O gauge section of a hobbyshop, and I don't think you'll find us there in ten years. So when my grandfather's generation (the WWII) passes on, you'll be losing a chunk of the market that has driven the prices up and my generation won't come close to replacing the demand. I would expect that once my father's generation, the baby boomers, numbers start to fall, the price of o gauge will evaporate.

On the other hand, I'd gladly purchase any nice O scale buildings that are out there.

I hope I haven't offended or bothered anyone. I just wanted to encourage you to enjoy your trains now and not worry about their collectors value which may or may not exist. Pre-1965 CBS buyout Fender guitars are frequently worth $10,000+ due to their high quality and scarcity, but fender's 1980's reissues aren't worth their original sticker price as they aren't rare.
  18. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I made it simple I just filled up some plastic bags, about 10 to be exact and tossed them in the attic. I’m not into investing in trains I just run them and the boxes are neat to use when you move.

Now as far as the demise of the O gauge. I just don’t see it that way. First off O gauge and N gauge was popular back when I was a kid and I’m included in the baby boomer group. As a matter of fact there were some fine HO companies in the 1950’s that are no longer around. So in fact all three have been in the market for over 50 years.

Now what you forget to factor in is the new generation that has been introduced to O scale because their grand parents are now running O gauge. IMHO there is a whole new boom to take place with O gauge in a few years down the road. These grand children will want to run what Pop and Bub had to remember their own childhood.

Trains IMHO are not an investment to any normal person and very few are truly collector items. However to say O gauge demand will drop is just a wild guess and from what I see kids still love the big O just as much as the ones using the other gauges.

Time will tell if I’m correct and since I should be around for another 40 years I will live to see if I’m correct. JEEZ and they say all baby boomer's are old. Remember the youngest baby boomer would only be 43 and just getting into their prime buying years.

[FONT=&quot]Price is almost always tied to market demand and right now O gauge is hotter than fire. I don’t see that changing for a while maybe longer than most people want to admit.
  19. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

N only started in the 60s.
  20. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Depending on the circles that you run in 48 years for the official modern N gauge is about right. Prior to that there were similar size trains that date back intothe 1920's. :mrgreen: