The Didn't Quite Make Its

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Tough call whittling down about 20 shots or so that I took of my diorama over the last couple of days. While the photo I submitted for the contest was the best, it was darned close. Thought you might like to see some of the others.

(1) Missouri Pacific #1611, one of two GP15-1's on my roster, picks up a couple of cement hoppers from the storage track at College Cement, en route towards Scott City KS.

2003febb.jpg

(2) Wide angle view of the diorama, which will find its way into my final layout just west of Herington KS. College Cement dominates the right side of the scene, with a hill on the left side, and a storage track behind. Missouri Pacific train HSC is heading towards Scott City as well, this time with a couple of Telenetresearch plastic pellet hoppers.

2003febc.jpg

(3) Another shot down the rails, similar to my entry. Here #1611 is pulling out the three cement hoppers in the storage track, while another pair await unloading. In the distance is a sign restricting speed to 35 miles per hour on the mainline into Herington.

2003febd.jpg

(4) Roof details of the cement plant. Looks like one of the employees has decided to take a liquid lunch !!! (( yes the sign is coming off in the corners, I used spray adhesive which didn't seem to work all that well).

2003febe.jpg

<< as an afterthought, these contests make me think a lot more about photo opportunities; I also discovered some mistakes that I won't make next time, both in terms of photography and scenicking >>

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Michael, I notice that Bob and his dog are still around :D
Nice photo's
Shamus
waver.gif

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice pics Michael!
Like the weathering on those cylindrcal hoppers in the 1st shot!
Also, nice roof detail on the cement plant!

Like you, I too, discovered the camera to be a great aid to my modeling.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Michael, Photos 2,3 & 4 are the most impressive, full of detail to look at. The bits and bobs on the silos are just great.
How's the headache after getting the corrugated roof to fit snug to the silo's??? Nice bit if cutting sir! Yep, altogether, good modelling.

I see the Chessie hopper has been to NY NY, they're great artists in that area!! .. :D :D .

Weathering of the rolling stock is great, with the exception of the trucks/wheels in photo #1. I only point it out in the nicest possible sense, but then I suspect you yourself have been pondering about putting that right :) .

Errol