The Daring Project

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Barry has done such an awesome job continuing on with the 3D model, I am really keen to start knocking the superstructure together but I'm determined to get the whole "underwater" section finished before I get too far ahead of myself.

It's coming along nicely though, with the whole underwater section now ready to assemble in time for the final coat(s) of red paint.

Barry sent me the metasequoia model of the props instead of a PDO, and as much as I tried to get it to unfold into a buildable state, I had no idea what I was doing and kept unfolding the whole boat, which got a bit messy.

I resorted to scratch building in the end, all except for the bits where the prop shaft exits the hull. Yes, as you can see I'm pretty good with my technical naval terminology... I'm sure those bits have a name. :D

I cut my rudders out using a stencil I drew by eye looking at the plans. The rudders themselves attach to a bit of wooden skewer with a strip of card glued to it, to give the rudders their tapered shape.

I already had a PDO for the shaft hangers, these and the "bits where the shaft exits the hull" were the only two printed parts, the rest I made by hand. I made a couple of tubes for the propshafts to sit in, where the hanger bits attach. For the prop shafts, I used wooden skewers, then wrapped standard copying paper around the shaft till I had the thickness I wanted, then added extra strips for the wider part that sits in the hanger.
I also cut a couple of strips to use as bilge keels.

Here's some pics to try and make sense of the rubbish I just typed, unfortunately I still have no camera of my own and this one isn't a big fan of macro / close up shots:

propbits.jpg

And of course, with the obligatory coat of black paint (hopefully the last time I need it, as I just ran out doing these parts).

blackpaint.jpg

Then some red....

redpaint.jpg

I really should have built and painted this whole underwater section in one go, but impatience got the better of me. So far the model hasn't suffered for it though. :D

Next I will attach all these bits, take care of any gaps or rough spots, then the whole underside will get a fresh coat or two of red. It's had a lot of paint thrown at it by now, but it's also had a lot of sanding as well so there's black paint starting to show in the spots I cleaned up for the shafts etc to be attached.

Here's some close up shots of a few of the parts, to show the kind of finish I achieved. they look and feel like plastic parts already, without their final cleanup... ignore the fingerprints, that was Mr Impatience again.

Rudders:

rudders.jpg

Prop shaft:

shaft.jpg

Shaft Hangers:

shafthanger.jpg

The props themselves are done, in brass, but I'm not happy with them, they got a bit stained somehow by the epoxy I used so I think I might do them again at a later date, unless they can be cleaned / polished.

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
Nice going Jaffro!! Just a sidenote, you could paint the propellers with metallic model paints if that helps ^^

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Lex,

Yeah I was thinking about spraying them, but I've made props with this brass stuff before and as long as I get the size and shape right they'll look pretty good. It would be a shame to have to use paint to cover my brass while trying to end up with them looking like brass... but I had considered it.

Having said that, once I mounted my improvised props I could'nt help thinking they look a bit too big so it won't hurt to rebuild them... also I had a new idea for the "bullet bits" on the props that I want to try out.

Here's how she looks after attaching most of the underside stuff, there's only one bilge keel left to put on now then I can go for the final coat of paint. There's been a few accidents along the way, but nothing that can't be covered up by the paint. :D

propulsion.jpg

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
prop shaft

Hi Nick

Don't if this will help or not

The props are not small judging by this

I like the real brass idea

barry

Attachments

• proprender.jpg
    proprender.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 17

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks barry, that does help... they don't seem to be as oversized as I thought...

or are you just trying to tease me with that limbo launcher... looking good there... :thumb:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Update on HMAS Vendetta

Jaffro the latest version hull and superstructure are the same still

Attachments

• PIC_00139.jpg
    PIC_00139.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PIC_00140.jpg
    PIC_00140.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Wow barry, that's looking awesome... not much progress to report on my end, the deadline has been lifted so I'm not rushing it anymore. Still tempted to start a new hull, but the first one is still holding up reasonably well.

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Well it's been a while, but I'm back to finally report this project was completed, almost a year ago now.

I ended up restarting at 1:200 scale to save me having to rescale the parts barry was sending me, and at the request of the eventual recipient who nearly fell over the first time he saw the 1:100 version ("where the hell am I going to put that?")

Due to some camera related issues there aren't many pics of the build, but here's a few of the completed model. I built it from barry's parts, added some extra details here and there then the whole thing was eventually painted by airbrush, spraycan and paintbrush.

IMG20110625_002.jpgIMG20110625_003.jpgIMG20110625_014.jpgIMG20110625_011.jpgIMG20110625_012.jpgIMG20110625_008.jpg

The finished model was everything I hoped it could be, thanks to barry's excellent design skills, without his help there is no way I ever could have completed this project. The final motivational factor behing completing it was the deteriorating health of my ex partner's father, who I built the model for. He lost his battle with cancer a few weeks ago after a long and painful battle, he is at peace now and I dedicate this thread and this model to him.

Rest in peace Ian J. Sangwell, 17/06/1939 - 03/11/2011.

Z

Zathros

Beautiful model!! I am sorry for your loss. He must have loved the model. It's a beauty for sure!

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for the comments Zathros and Inky.

Ian definitely was proud, despite picking on a few innacuracies when I gave it to him (not to my face though, lol) I heard soon after that not a single visitor to his house was allowed to leave before he showed off the model his son-in-law had built (His daughter and I are/were not married, so it was an added honor that he referred to me this way when showing off the model).

I'm extremely glad I got to finish it before he passed, had I not finished it after promising to build it for him, I never would have been able to shake off the guilt.

Z

Zathros

That kind of friendship and caring cannot be made up. I personally really like to hear stories like that. I find them uplifting and revealing. We make papermodels but if that was all there was to it, then why would people congregate somewhere to talk about it. This forum isn't solely about paper models or trains etc, it is about people with common interests and the hobby is a point co commonality that gives a place to start doing what humans do, socialize. In my humble opinion. Great sharing Jaffro!