The Coolest Thing I've Ever Seen

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

2. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

that IS very cool,if i only had thetime to put it up or the money to buy O scale trains :mrgreen:.very cool lookin cannonball,thanks for sharin!--josh
  3. Cannonball

It was pretty cool until I looked at the pricing page.
    $850 for a basic 10x12 two track layout! :eek:
  4. Geno

Geno Member

Yep- not cheap, but if you lacked the carpentry skills to make a ceiling layout happen it's a pretty decent kit.

I personally would just get some 1 x 6's, rip them down the middle for the bridge spans, and use 1/8" all thread with nuts and washers for the uprights. You could even use 1/4" x 3" pieces of wood under the ripped 1 x 6, w/ balsa strips glued to the side to simulate the side of a girder bridge. The bridge supports could be anything, like 1" x 2" x 8" pieces of oak drilled at the ends for the all-thread to pass through.

5. Cannonball

After seeing this page, I seriously thought about getting some wood and all-thread but I'm not sure how my wife would handle two layout projects going on in the living room at the same time. Especially one hanging from the ceiling. :D
  6. Geno

Geno Member

Are you building another layout ? I decided to move mine down into the garage so I could build it as I wish (too much interference from my wife with my layout in the family room).

7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Geno in your case that is probably the best choice. I can feel your pain.

Well I have set a date for the new grand railroad. I will start the baby just after the new year. So far the track plan calls for 350 feet of track. It will be a 5 year project if the money holds out.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

Nice work on your layout- you really packed alot into that space. My current pike is L-shaped 20 x 20 and runs along two walls in our family room (21 x 21). It has 7' diameter peninsulas at each end, with storage cabinets underneath.

Those dimensions may seem like alot of space, but if you run long trains, scale- sized equipment, and wide radius curves you run out of real estate quick. When I decided I needed to have the main lines run along the other two walls, my wife rained hellfire on me:cry:- at that point the garage was the only option. And I can expand into the backyard :mrgreen:.

Are you expanding your current layout or starting fresh?

9. Cannonball

Yeah, I tore the O gauge down some time ago and started on an N scale layout with the Scenic Ridge kit.

I've got the stuff to get started on an O gauge Christmas layout and I also want to do a permanent O gauge layout in the yard somewhere with the battery powered trains I've got.
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I'm am one of the lucky train guys. I just happen to have a three story garage that is 30X28 and it is all mine. No wife, kids or anything else to share space with.

So I have nothing in the third floor except some misc storage items. The first floor is the metal shop and the second floor is the wood shop. Because of the slop of the land the first and second floor have ground access doors. Thus the third floor is only one flight of steps.

I also love long trains and with my current layout I'm limited.

Geno my wife wasn't sold on the idea of having my layout in the rec / living room at first. When she saw me bringing wood into the house she even started to question her agreement to let me do it. However she adapted to it and the funny thing is that the layout is one of the first places she brings people to see.

I know your in a different position than I am. Without getting into all the reasons I think you will be happy with moving the layout. At least that should keep a happier wife.

Good Luck.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

You should get touch with David Vergun on the OGR Forum- he's big into battery-powered RC outdoor O gauge (still very cool if you ask me). This is another reason I decided to move downstairs and partially outside- I can finally have those 60" radius curves that make really long trains look even more realistic, as well as nice long main lines that will run from my garage into the backyard.

Renovo- I'm actually okay with the idea of moving my layout, despite the fact that I know my wife will still have something to say about me running trains in the backyard. But I'm planning to build much of the outdoor portion on portable modules with removeable backdrops so I can bring it all in when it rains the seven days it does here in CA. :mrgreen:

I'm planning to do alot of remodeling in my backyard (deck off master bedroom, outdoor kitchen, pool, etc. ), so I can't get too elaborate, but I can at least have a main line that runs around the back of the yard, overhead on the pergola over the kitchen, and then back to the garage. Wonder if the wife will actually let that happen :rolleyes:...

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

By yourself an E-field kit, which allows you to run your trains on a layout fastened upside down to the ceiling. It was featured in Model Railroading not long ago. One railroader who tried it was working on a layout attached vertically to the back of a door in his home.

13. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

by the way that technology advances nowadays that could be prototype in the near future! commuter service going up and down skyscrapers!--josh