The Cat Struts its Stuff

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by TomPM, Dec 12, 2005.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Ran some trains this weekend until the power pack got confiscated for the trains under the tree. Brought out the Cheesie units for this round.

2. TomPM

3. TomPM

4. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

It's great to have a look at your whole train, like that. So often we just see one or two cars and an engine. Now I can really get the feeling of thew whole model and I must say I'm impressed. A very fine job indeed. A perfect setting too. Whole thing is almost real.

TrainClown ;)
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Doesn't the Cat own a wash rack...!? ;) 'Course, most cats I know hate water... so that might be the problem. :D Nice work Tom!

6. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Nice Stuf!! :D Great detailing too :) On both the cars & The scenery...
  7. 77railer

77railer Member

Awsome weathering. I hope I get there...Im a long long way away from running trains or even laying track...77Railer
  8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I love mile post 46! What a great place to watch trains! Nice work as always Tom!
  9. koconno2

koconno2 New Member

Great detailing and weathering on everything. The lighting for the shot is also great. It's inspiring to see up close how others pull off effective weathering with out over doing it.

Have you tired to digitally add rising heat plums and exhaust from the diesel stacks? I played around in Photo Shop with the Gaussian blur tool to effectively imitate heat wave distortion.
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great models & photos, Tom!
    :thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:
  11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Absolutely love your weathering techniques, just a pleasure to see.
  12. ding chavez

ding chavez Member

the weathering on those is amazing, how did you do it??
  13. TomPM

The weathering on the PC boxcars, SBD and NYC covered hoppers is simply a wash of made from 1 part Folk Art Charcoal Gray and 6 parts blue windshield washer fluid. The they were sealed with Dullcoat. I may at a lter date do some airbrushing along the trucks and the bottoms of the cars to finish them.

The PC covered hopper is a little bit more complicated and I need to find my notes on that one as it was an experimental technique. It was based on a technique that was described by Jim Six. Since it was an experiment I kept notes on it. Now where did I put them?
  14. Art67

Art67 Member

Fantastic work, Tom. Those Chessie units sure look nice, as well as the rest of the train. I have to agree with Ralph, Mile post 46 is THE spot for trainwatching. I am curious as to what type of bulbs you use for lighting your photos...they put off a very convincing effect. Great work. Stuart.
  15. ReefBlueCoupe

ReefBlueCoupe Member

Very nice! Kind of off topic, it would be neat to apply a Chessie-esque paint and lettering scheme to a modern Dash 9 or something even newer than that.. just so people will ask questions when they see it :D
  16. TomPM

Again thanks!

In this picture (taken for another reason) you can see my "high-tech" photo studio :) .

The light bulbs are standard 100 watt bulbs. I will hold the light that closest to the front of picture and move it around to get the lighting effect I want. I usually take two or three shots of each picture with the light in different positions and then choose the one I like best.

I am using a Sony Cybershot digital camera. I take all the photos at 4.1 mega pixels. The flash is turned off and the lighting effect is set for tungsten lighting (incandescent light bulbs). I use a program called XnViewer to resize the photos to 640x480. The only other “trickery” I use in the program is I sometimes use the enhance focus tool.

Photos that were taken with the set up shown can be seen here:B&O "Cool" Hotshot
  17. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Nice work, Tom, another enjoyable railfanning trip.

18. Art67

Art67 Member

Thanks for the lighting tips, your photos look top notch. Stuart.