The Camera's Eye

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Drew1125, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

It has occured to me in the course of learning this photography thing, that merely peering through the camera lense lends a perspective to your modeling that you just can't get with the naked eye. Whether you're framing up an entire scene, or just a piece of rolling stock, or a structure, you see things (good & bad) through the camera that you wouldn't otherwise.
    I'm sure this isn't any eye-popping revelation to Shamus, & the other old pros on this board, but I would highly recommend this to any newbies, or anyone like myself, who hasn't tried the camera before.
    You don't need anything fancy, just get a 35mm (SLR) camera, & take a look at some things on your layout. You might be surprised by what you see - or maybe by what you don't!
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Another point in Photography is keeping down low with the camera that is the key to good interesting photographs. I do not say take all the photographs this way, some will have to be taken from above, as if you were standing on a bridge looking down, but for the most part, do try and keep down low.

Make the photograph appear to have plenty of action going on as well. Also have a look around the area you are going to photograph just to see if there are any non-railroad objects floating around the track, i.e. :- track pins - old rail joiners - ashtray (If you smoke) tools of any kind. I know this might seem to be stupid, but if you have something’s laying around the place, you yourself, because they have been around for awhile have got used to seeing them, and in fact do not notice them, the camera will, and take a smashing photo of everything in sight.

Ode to the Model Rail photographer

Oh what a tangled web we weave

Of might deeds that we’ve conceived

That loco their, that’s on the track

The motors dead, it's even slack

They’ll never know what’s up your sleeve

The publics eye when they do read

They say the camera never tells lies

but what do you see before your eyes

A part of the scenery, to be finished later

Right now with my camera I’ll slip in some paper

So my good friends I hope you believe

That what you do see, is not too deceive

When all said and done, it’s all in good fun

Let's take this model out in the sun

It might be too bright you never can tell

But it can be doctored with a computer, --- from hell.

(The Camera never lies) only the computer.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

NARA Member #24
    http://www.badger-creek.co.uk
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Charlie, An old trick I learned in Photography class is: Get a sheet of paper & cut a 2 or 3 inch square hole on it,the hole does not have to be neat. Then look through it (holding it about 2 feet in front of you) at your subject. You will immediatly notice things about the scene, that you would not normally see, even through the camera's viewfinder. I have used this in the past for mostly outdoor Pics. I have also taken a few Pics of my layouts with everything from "giant" Paint cans, screwdrivers, and of course the multimeter, that I use to troubleshoot & test those track connections. :) :D Using my 35mm Camera I didn't notice these items, mostly in the backgrounds, until the pics came back from the labs.. Like Shamus', with my Digital Camera & Computer I can fix these things... :)
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Charlie,
    The Academy now has the photography article in I wrote years ago, hope it helps.
    This article was used by the NMRA over a period of 6 months, way back in 1994

Shamus
    [​IMG]

NARA Member #24
    http://www.badger-creek.co.uk
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks Shamus!
    BTW, I should have some new pics ready this weekend, & will get them on my homepage, & will post them here, too.